Chapter 15: You're Welcome

She didn't like it.

"Cassandra Grace Parker!"

I flinch and Zeus and Pickles cower behind me while Blue stays sitting by my side, seemingly unafraid.

Cole dropped me and Aaron off first, and then went to Gracie's house.

"I sent you out for one dog, one, and you come back with three! Three dogs!"

"I'm sorry, Mom, I thought it would be okay. I didn't know you would be upset."

That's a lie. That's a whole ass lie right there.

I knew she would be upset. But, if I tell her that, it becomes a problem not because I did it, but because I did it knowing she wouldn't want me to.

And that would be worse than this.

"You didn't know," she yells. "You didn't know?"

"Mandy," Dad says in an attempt to calm Mom down, pulling her to sit on the couch.

"Don't you Mandy me," she snaps, but I know she's calming down because she sits down next to him. "Your daughter brought three dogs into our house, and the only thing you have to say is Mandy?"

"Amanda, you need to calm down. It's not that bad. Yes, she has three dogs, which is kind of bad, but all you need to do is make her get a job and pay for them."

My eyes widen. "But-"

Dad shoots me a look that screams shut up, and I wisely listen.

Mom visibly loses some of her steam. "But, three dogs, Bart. Three."

"We'll figure it out," he says softly while rubbing her back. "We always have."

Mom smiles at him. "Bart, guess what?"

"What, honey?" He leans in closer to her and I watch, in absolute disgust, as he looks at her lips and she does the same.

"I love you."

He smiles at her words and she smiles back.

What is this, a romance novel?

"I love you, too."

Their lips brush against each other and I break.

"Nope, no no, no, I refuse to watch this." They leap apart and stare at me in shock and it's obvious that they forgot that I was here. "Take it somewhere else."

Mom rolls her eyes while Dad nutters under his breath.

"One more school year."

"Dad!" I glare at him.

"What?"

I smirk at him, my glare falling away. "You only want me gone so you can bang Mom like you used to."

I watch in amusement as their faces pale.

"H-how did you-"

"I heard you when I was, like, fifteen."

Mom's face heats up and Dad is confused.

"You weren't exactly being quiet," I add. "If you know what I mean." I wiggle my eyebrows at them.

Mom stands up. "I am not discussing my sex life with my daughter. It's not happening."

Dad follows her out of the room. "Just think, Mandy, one more school year."

I hear a slap, followed by a very defensive, "I'm just saying."

I snort quietly and turn to the three dogs, who are all quietly staring up at me.