THIRTY TWO: Paperwork

***TWO DAYS LATER***
**(Y/N) POV**

The pain seemed to be almost bearable now.

Between Hawks and Best Jeanist, I was never alone, and the pair seemed to have made it their mission to keep my mind off of everything. My husband was almost literally attached to my hip, a hand on me at all times unless he had to use the restroom, and our tall, blond guardian; of sorts, made sure we were both comfortable and calm.

Hawks had been much quieter than his usual self, but I understood completely. Our loss would weigh on us for a long time, perhaps even forever, but I put on a brave face just for him. I knew he felt guilty, but there was no reason for him to. It had all been my fault, jumping in when I was in no condition to.

"You have some visitors, (Y/N). A woman and a young boy, who tell me that they know you?" Best Jeanist poked his head through the gap in the door, adjusting the scarf which covered the lower section of his face. Sitting up, I had to force Hawks off the bed with me, him making a whiny noise as he continued on with filling out some of the paperwork we had to complete before the hospital would sign off on my discharge.

It could only be...

"Yeah, please let them in, Hakamata." I replied, propping myself up on my pillows, knowing that if I tried to move away from the bed that Hawks would certainly have something to say about it. Almost as soon as Best Jeanist left, he returned, followed by a much slimmer Mio and a much more energetic Benjiro.

"Songbird! I brought you a flower! I wanted to get you something all on my own, but I couldn't afford a real fancy bunch of 'em, so I picked you this one!" The little boy raved straight up to the edge of my bed, holding out a cute little daffodil in his small hands.

He's so sweet...I'm glad he's okay...

"Thank you so much, sweetie..." I smiled softly, accepting his gift and tucking it behind my ear, showing him how grateful I was. "How are you both? Mio, are you alright?" I looked up to his mother, who nodded, a gentle expression gracing her maturing face.
"We're all fine, love, thanks to you. We just wanted to come to check in on you...and to thank you properly..."

Ah...I'm so relieved her baby is alright...

"There's no need, really..." I didn't want their praise or thanks. It was enough knowing they were safe and sound.
"But we want to, Miss. (L/N). Please, if you need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask us. I know we can't do much, but we're here if you need it." Mio reached down and cupped my hand in hers, and I wanted to cry. I likely would have if my tear ducts weren't as dry as bone.

"We really appreciate it, Ma'am." Hawks finally made himself known to the pair, having hidden himself behind the head of my hospital bunk. Standing, he smiled kindly towards them, covering his heart with his hand as he focused on the boy. "And you, little man...Thank you for taking such good care of my wife. She told me all about how brave you were!"

Benjiro stared at my husband with wide eyes, blindly reaching back to cling at his mother's skirt.
"You're so...red..." He breathed, barely blinking as he gazed across the curves of Hawks' wings, trembling slightly. Hawks flexed one of them out a bit, laughing quietly.
"Yeah, I always thought blue was more my colour, don't ya think?" Instead of responding, Benjiro skittered to hide behind his mother, peeping out nervously.

"Sorry about him. He's a big fan, so he's a little starstruck." Mio chuckled, giving her son a pat on the head. As Hawks responded, I watched the boy closely. They weren't the eyes of a child in awe. It looked more like fear to me.

What does he see..?

"...Anywho, we should probably get back to the wing. Remember, don't hesitate to give us a call if you need anything, okay? Our family is eternally grateful for everything you have done for us." Mio bowed to us, and I felt horrible. I couldn't help but feel resentful that she had been able to meet her children when I had lost my own.
"Thank you so much, Mio. When I'm feeling better, I would love to come and meet the new addition."

Would I..?

Sprinting out from behind his mother, Benjiro jumped onto the chair beside my bed, throwing his arms around my neck and hugging me tightly.
"I love you, Miss Songbird!" He announced, and my chest constricted. I squeezed him back, the drought in my eyes threatening to end.
"I love you too, Benji. I'll come and visit you soon, okay?" I murmured, completely overwhelmed by emotion.

"He's all red...A scary red...That's his only colour...Please be careful..."

It took me a few moments, but once I finally understood what he was talking about, my guts began to somersault. Once they left the room, Hawks nestled back against my side, leaning the clipboard and paperwork on his knees, but I was caught in my own head.

Does that mean he's in danger? Does that mean he's dangerous? I don't get it...

"Hey," I blinked a few times as Hawks held the sheets of paper under my nose, nudging his shoulder into mine. "all you gotta do is sign at the bottom and we can go home." Hesitating, I took the pen from his hand and scratched my name into the paper, silently returning it and staring into the side of his face.

The bags under his eyes were dark, almost making the markings invisible, and his skin seemed a lot paler than usual. Was he sick? Did he need to take a longer break than he planned? Would something bad happen if he returned to work?

"Hawks..." He hummed when I spoke his name, the colour amber; dulled by our loss, flickering directly to me. "..is there something you're not telling me..?" Carelessly tossing the completed paperwork onto the table beside my bed, he leaned over and nuzzled into the crook of my neck, his right wing; still on the mend, curling over the two of us like a blanket.
"Well, I am pretty beat." He admitted, a yawn coming to surface as soon as the words escaped his mouth. "I guess I just want to get you out of here, so we can be alone, away from...all of this..."

Me too...but...

"Are you sure that's all..? It's just that...I don't know...Don't worry about it..." I murmured, closing my eyes as he pressed a long, gentle kiss to the side of my throat.

"I promise, Sunshine...There's nothing you have to worry about..."

.
.
.
.
***Short chapter this time round, sorry guys! I've been busy, and I'm not sure what else to add to this one***