thirty-seven

They arranged to prepare for the presentation at Isaac’s that Saturday afternoon (“Parents are out,” said Isaac shortly when Jared's face froze at the idea of going back inside Isaac's house, and Jared knew better by now than to enquire further).

     When Jared arrived on Saturday – courtesy of a frankly terrifying lift from Cosmo – he rang the doorbell and then heard his phone chime with a text from ‘EVERYONE’S MOST FAVE DUDE EVER followed by about twenty sunglasses emojis’.

    ‘door on the latch!!!!! come on upstairs bc can’t b bothered to come down lololololololololololol ex oh ex oh :-) :-) <33333’

    Jared: ‘will you STOP texting like a twelve-year-old girl’

    EVERYONE’S MOST FAVE DUDE EVER: ‘bbz this is how I naturally text???!!!!! it has like literally nothing 2 do with the fact it annoys u so much???!!!!!!!’

    EVERYONE’S MOST FAVE DUDE EVER: ‘<3333’

    Jared: ‘I hate you’

    EVERYONE’S MOST FAVE DUDE EVER: ‘:-)

     Jared huffed. He took a deep breath, reassuring himself that this would be nothing like last weekend- and turned the door handle. Sure enough, the door swung obligingly open.

    “Hey loser,” he called loudly as he reached the top of the stairs, and walked into Isaac’s room. Isaac was splayed out on his bed, and waved just as Jared noticed three other people in the room: a girl with dark hair lying next to Isaac, a blonde girl curled up in his armchair and a guy cross-legged on his rug. The Jam were playing quietly in the background and Isaac was just beaming, apparently completely tickled by the fact that Jared had basically just been ambushed.

     The girl with dark hair sat up and glared at him.

    “Isaac’s not a loser,” she snapped.

     Jared took a step back, ignoring Isaac’s stifled laughter.

    “Er…Okay?”

   “Hey,” said Isaac. “Guys. This is Jared. Jared, these are my friends from my old school. Keira,” – he motioned to the still glaring girl sitting on the bed – “Callum” – the guy – “and Lily.”

     The blonde girl Lily was the only one who smiled. She had a silver cross around her neck, and her hair was perfectly parted and straight.

    “Hi Jared,” she said.

     “These guys came for a surprise visit,” Isaac explained unsympathetically. “I was gonna text you, but I thought it’d be maybe… nice for you to meet them?”

     He grinned, and Jared glared at him, mouthing, I hate you.

    “Love you too J,” said Isaac sarcastically. “Now come sit down with us.”