Chapter 24

"How long have we been down here waiting?" Freddy moaned. Alex looked at his watch.

"3 hours," he replied.

"They normally would've attacked by now!" Josie said with confusion. "What's going on??"

"I'm not sure," Crazy Dave replied. "Maybe it's just a trick to make us think they're not coming."

"Well, it sure is working!" Freddy groaned.

"What exactly did the note say?" Josie asked.

"We didn't read it," Alex admitted. "It's still on the roof."

"What? Why?!"

"We figured it was just another message saying they were going to attack!"

"...but what if it's not...?"

"Well, how are we supposed to know? Do you know an easy and safe way onto the roof?"

"Well, no..."

"Let's just stay down here," Dave suggested. "It's the only choice we-"

RING! RING! RING!

They all jumped out of their skin at the sudden loud noise.

"What the heck is that?!" Freddy asked. Alex then reached into his pocket and pulled out his long-forgotten cell phone, which was ringing loudly.

"Who could that possibly be?!" Josie asked.

"I'm not sure," Alex replied. "The number is 966-2677. No idea who that is!"

"Well, answer it!" Dave commanded.

Alex quickly did as suggested and then put in on speakerphone so the others could hear.

"Hello?" He asked into the phone.

"Yes, hello?" The voice on the other end replied. It sounded like a grizzly British accent. "Am I speaking to a Mister...Alexander Johnsen?"

"Um...yes. Do I know you?"

"Probably not. If you did, you'd be scared out of your mind right now."

"Why?"

"Because my name is Dr. Edgar George Zomboss, a.k.a. Leader of the Zombies."

"Dr. Zomboss...oh, no...you're...Dr. Z, aren't you??"

Freddy and Crazy Dave had the most shocked looks in their eyes. Josie just looked confused. They all then heard soft laughing from the other end.

"So you HAVE heard of me."

"What do you want? Why did you call me?"

"Honestly? To congratulate you!"

"Huh?"

"You and your group did what no other human could do. You stayed alive for a whole year of zombies roaming the planet! You found a seemingly perfect defense system. You managed to defeat my Gargantuars! For that, I applaud you."

They could actually hear his hands clapping.

"Um... Thanks," Alex replied.

"HOWEVER!!" He continued in a voice so loud that they all jumped a bit. "At the same time, it's also why I hate you all. After all, I'm a zombie. And zombies need brains. 4 more, to be specific..."

"So, what are you saying?"

Alex hoped he didn't sound as nervous as he felt.

"Well, I have a proposition for you," Zomboss continued. "But it would be easier to explain in person."