Chapter 6

"Verity? Are you sure, Ross?" Demelza asked
"It's the best place Emma can be; Verity's hardly visited since she's had the baby, and even if she does go, Emma can stay in Norfolk with the servants and Captain Blamey's daughter." "As long as she's taken care of, that's all that matters." Demelza answered.

The next morning, Demelza sat Emma down and told her the plan.
"You're going to stay with Mrs. Blamey until Ross can find your family." She explained.
"But I want to stay here."
"Why?"
"You look like such a happy family." Emma answered. Demelza had to remind herself that Emma must be hurting so much; a scared little girl who wanted to be loved.
We're far from perfect, Demelza thought, trying not to let the memory of Ross's indiscretion force it's way into her mind.
"Emma, I promise you, we'll find your family and if we don't, you'll stay with us." She said, holding the girl's hand. "You staying with Verity is only temporary."

The days that passed were quiet but happy. Emma hemmed herself a handkerchief and started would sit in the kitchen with Demelza and draw on cheap paper with a charcoal stick.

Within a week, Verity had arrived to bring Emma to Norfolk. Verity was in a happy mood after visiting Aunt Agatha. There was happy greetings all around. Emma left with nothing more than an old shawl and skirt from Demelza and one of Ross's shirts that had been cut down to fit her and one of Demelza's dresses and an old nightgown. Poor little Jeremy cried as Emma left; he had become quite attached to her.
"Ross, you'll find my family won't you?" Emma asked.
"You have my word." He promised.
Believe me, sweet girl, I mean it. If it takes years, I'll find them.