Chapter 45: Time Spent Together

Song Quote: Fear And Loathing
"Now I see, I see it for the first time There is no crime in being kind. Not everyone is out to screw you over. Maybe, yeah just maybe, they just want to get to know you. And now the time is here Baby, you don't have to live your life in fear The sky is clear It's clear of fear."
~~~

Your Pov:
Working on the Prototype X-1 you laid your back on a rolling creeper. Underneath the vehicle you adjusted the final parts and set them in place. With a wrench in hand you tightened some bolts as you listened to your music with some earbuds.

"That should be tight enough" you said to yourself as you hummed along to the music. You were too focused on your work and the melodies playing in your ears you didn't hear the elevator open.

Out of nowhere you felt something touch your leg. You instinctively jumped and dropped the wrench in your hand. Your head jumped up and hit the bottom of the car with a hard metallic thump.

Laying back down on the rolling mat you winced and held your head in pain. A series of grumbled left your lips as you grabbed your fallen wrench, the tool only slightly missed your face when you dropped it.

Holding your head with one hand and the wrench in the other, you rolled out from under the car to greet the fire ninja.

Kai looked down at the red marks on your face, biting his lip in guilt. Wincing at the harsh thump from where he stood.

"Are you trying to kill me?" You glared up at him as you pulled out your earbuds. He winced at your mean tone when you really meant it as a sarcastic joke.

"Sorry" Kai smiled awkwardly as he held out a hand to help you up.

"It's fine" you shrugged and dropped the wrench in your tool box lazily. Clapping your work gloves together you stretched your back slightly.

"The Prototype X-1 is almost done and then you can start your patrols for Nindroid activity" You informed the fire ninja as you took a step back to look at the bright red vehicle.

Not your first choice for the paint job as it will easily draw attention to whoever's riding in it. However Pixal insisted as it will be easier to identify the ninja if their vehicles are their respective colors.

Kai smiled at the sight and tilted his head at you curiously. "Need any help?" He asked eagerly and held out his hand "I can provide some extra fire power."

Fire erupted from his palm like a flamethrower. He smirked at you in an effort to show off. The sight of the burning crimson flames made you shudder slightly. Your instincts flaring for no apparent reason as your skin tingled.

"Lloyd did split up his golden power after all?" You thought as you slowly backed away from the flames that weren't even pointed in your direction.

Kai noticed your apprehension and made them disappear. You acted like it was nothing and shrugged it off. "So you can finally use your powers at will? Congrats." You said with a small smile as you leaned up against the bright red car.

"Yeah and I've never felt so strong before" Kai smirked and leaned forward playfully "I bet I can even beat you in a fight."

"Another time" you hummed and poked his forehead to push him away. "For now, can you weld this piece together for me? It won't stay in place otherwise" You turn away and pop open the hood. Under the hood, it held some secret weapon attachments for the fire ninja to utilize. You propped the hood on a thin rod and pointed out the metal that needed welding. 

Kai a small flame burst from his hand as he carefully heated the metal and welded them together.

"It must be nice having the power at your fingertips" You hummed as he worked delicately, surprised how he wasn't lighting the entire car on fire.