Desperate Times.

"Hey there, Doc

"Hey there, Doc. I didn't expect to see you so soon. Finally taking up the offer of staying at Casa de Stark-" The Iron Man was eager to greet, but his eagerness fizzled out when he saw that I wasn't alone. 

Instead, getting out of the car alongside me was Steve, Natasha and Scott as well. 

"Huh, you brought a posse with you..." 

..........

Though less than keen on playing host to his old teammates the retiree still offered refreshments as we gathered on the front porch. It had been a quiet five years between the heroes and though on the surface it seemed like bygones were bygones the jagged chip on Tony's shoulder still wasn't totally sanded down. 

He was done with the hero life, done with the Avengers and he had strived in making that real clear. So, with me being accompanied by the rag-tag bunch Tony wasn't too enthusiastic about it. Or, about the concealed reason behind our sudden presence. 

The mechanic was smart and he knew just by the looks on all our faces that we didn't just come here for a friendly get-together and some lemonade on ice. 

And, while Scott offered up some sort of explanation and made his case known I was as silent as the grave. Not too delighted in us being here either. 

Was I desperate? Yes. Did I want this outlandish notion to somehow come into fruition and fix this colossal mess? Yes. But, did I want to bother Tony with it? No. 

"Believe me, I know it sounds crazy." Scott clarified again after hashing out some of the details. 

"Tony, after everything you've seen is anything really impossible?" Steve vouched before being interrupted by the retiree who was more than ready to dole out some scientific facts.

"Quantum fluctuation messes with the Planck Scale which then triggers the Deutsch Proposition..." 

"And, then there are the problems with Quantum Decoherence and the wave function collapse and then there's the Copenhagen Interruption. I know." I was quick to add, understanding perfectly well how impossible this seemed. 

"See, thank you, Doc. Popsicle here get's it," Tony asserted, agreeing with me. "In Layman's terms it means you're not coming home. Plain and simple." 

"I did." Scott interjected. 

"No, you accidentally survived. Total fluke, pal. And, now you wanna pull a, what?" The Iron Man disclosed, seated at a wicker-back patio chair. 

"A Time Heist." Ant-Man broadcasted, lemonade in hand, the ice clinking in his glass. 

The billionaire just mustered up a mocking chuckle, not getting on board with this flimsy, improbable theory at best. 

"Uh-huh. Why didn't we think of this before? Oh, that's right because it's laughable. Unrealistic. A fantasy straight out of a Sci-Fi movie." 

"The stones are in the past. We could go back, we could get them." Steve pressed on, his determination and desperation steadfast.