Chapter Four

'House Rivalry'

Hadrian stood behind the staff table in corner of the Great Hall. Normally, an unknown boy standing behind the professors would've caught everyone's attention however, in the midst of the first year sorting, Hadrian was invisible. This gave him the perfect opportunity to see the teachers.

He recognised Severus Snape from Knockturn Alley. The potions master frequently visited some of the more 'dark' Potion Shops. Hadrian could also recognise Hagrid, McGonagall, Professor Sprout, Professor Flitwick and of course Albus Dumbledor. What Hadrian hadn't known until the train journey, was that Lily Potter was the new Muggle Studies professor. Unfortunately, James Potter had also joined the Hogwarts staff as the new Defence against the Dark Arts teacher.
A short sigh escaped Hadrian as he thought about this.

Finally, all the first years were sitting at their respective table.

"Before we all tuck into this delicious feast, I have some announcements!" Dumbledor called out over the noise of students, mainly Evan Potter bragging to the new Griffindor first years.

"We have a new student joining us this year, Hadrian Black has come to Hogwarts to do his OWLs." Dumbledor stated as he beckoned the boy to come forward and sit on the stool. Hadrian smiled at the questioning expressions on James and Lily's faces. Neither had known about a Black heir.

The hall seemed to hold a collective breath as Hadrian walked forward. He felt threatening, dangerous, addictive. A smirk was placed on his lips as he sat down into the stool. His messy black hair falling delicately over his captivating green eyes.

Cautiously, McGonagall set the hat on Hadrian's head.

"A lot of bravery, but little recklessness. Hardworking but hardly trustworthy. Clever, very clever yet there is so much more cunning and ambition" the hat revealed as it spoke in Hadrian's mind, after he lowered his occlumency shields.

"Slytherin!" The hat announced to the hall. Everyone released the breath they had been unknowingly holding, hoping this boy would be in their house.

A blonde boy sitting at the Slytherin table began to clap, others slowly following his lead. Hadrian made his way down towards the table, sitting in the space the blonde had made for him.

"Draco Malfoy, pleasure to meet you" the blonde boy said, his dark grey eyes flashing with joy. Hadrian quickly assessed those sitting around him. Draco had light blonde, almost white, hair that was neatly combed back and, like most Slytherins, he was pale. Opposite Hadrian sat a black haired girl, her body elegantly leaned over the table as she chatted to Draco. Her hair fell just above her shoulders. Next to her was another girl, her beautiful face turned towards her friends. She raised a hand to carefully remove a strand of her blonde hair out of her face, revealing her pale blue eyes. Hadrian recognised her friends as Theodore Nott and Blaise Zabini. Hadrian gave them both a quick nod, drawing the girl's attention towards him.

"This is Pansy Parkinson and Daphne Greengrass, I assume you've already met Blaise and Theo," Draco continued.

"Yes, I have. Pleasure to meet you Daphne, Pansy" Hadrian replied, a seductive smirk playing on his lips. A small blush spread across Pansy's face, however Daphne's facade didn't break. Draco went on talking, assuring the continuation of pleasant conversation as the feast slowly ended.

Eventually, Draco had to lead the Slytherin table out of the hall and towards the dungeons. Hadrian had almost left the hall when a hand wrapped around his arm. He looked towards the hand's owner, met with the sneering face of Severus Snape.

"Dumbledor has requested your presence in his office" Snape grumbled. "Draco! Take Hadrian to the headmaster's office" He said, calling out to Draco. Hadrian flashed him a smile, that barely managed to hide his annoyance, before changing direction, following Draco.

***

"Mr Black, please take a seat" Dumbledor offered as Hadrian walked into his office behind Draco. The Potters, including Evan, stood behind the old man's desk. Hadrian noted James's clenched fists and rolled his eyes. He slowly sat down as Draco remained standing, behind the chair.

"How are you a black! Sirius never had a child!" James yelled almost immediately after Hadrian had sat in the chair. The boy let out a sigh as he lent back in the chair, propping his feet on the desk. James was taken aback by Hadrian's rudeness. Although Hadrian couldn't see, he knew Draco was finding James's reactions hilarious.

"Well, maybe it seemed impossible in your small mind, but I don't need to be Sirius Black's son in order to hold heirship of the Black family" Hadrian replied in a bored tone.

James and Lily physically recoiled at the boy's tone. His rudeness towards not only professors but towards Dumbledor astounded them.

"Wait! You're the boy who took my seat on the train!" Evan yelled, pointing a large finger in Hadrian's direction.

"Yes, well observed" Hadrian mocked, before looking directly to Dumbledor.

"Now, if all you wished to talk about was the legitimacy of my surname, then I'll be leaving" the headmaster stood, unable to comprehend all that the boy had said. Dumbledor had expected him to be polite towards either him or the Potters, especially the Boy-who-lived. This boy would prove a challenge, Dumbledor thought as the door closed behind Hadrian.

"Lily, what do you think of the boy?" He asked. Lily Potter had remained silent for all of the interaction.

"He seems familiar, his eyes. They make me wonder what Harry would look like at that age..." Lily replied, her voice a barely audible whisper.

"Aren't you happy that the squib isn't in our family?" James scoffed, recieving a smug look for his spoilt son. Lily once again recoiled into silence, wishing that her husband were someone else.

***

"Even a white rose has a black shadow"