Stakeout

"I'm real surprised you didn't shatter your ankle."

Tedros turns to see Lady A stalk back into the bar, a good hour after he and Beatrix had burst back through the performer's entrance. Behind her, Anadil and Dot lower a swearing Hester into one of the booths. All four of them are bloodied and bruised, even Lady A, who has blood blossoming in her nose and a sliced lip. She moves stiffly- they all do.

Tedros shrugs.

"They're not too high. I can dance in them, can't I? Not like I was expecting to have to fight in them, though."

Lady A dismisses him with a vague grunt, swiping blood from under her nose impatiently.

"Where's Beatrix?"

"Still cleaning up, I think."

"Hm." Lady A sinks into one of the chairs, eyes narrowed. She says nothing else.

Tedros blinks.

"So... you got away?"

"No, Meredith, I'm on a slab with a bullet in my skull." Snaps Lady A. " Yes, we got away. Got what I wanted from the guy, too."

Suddenly everyone is looking up.

"I thought he got away." Says Anadil. Next to her, Dot shifts around a little.

"So did he." Says Lady A dispassionately. "I'm faster."

"... what'd you get?" croaks Hester. She has an immense bruise blossoming over her jaw and cheek, and doesn't seem to be able to focus properly.

Something changes slightly in her boss's expression.

"Ain't nothin' you need to worry 'bout right now." Lady A says. It's almost compassionate.

There's a tense silence. Anadil fiddles absently with Hester's collar. To Tedros's surprise, she isn't batted away.

"So..." Tedros says awkwardly, into the silence; "Those Foxwood guys were there to catch you?"

Lady A looks on the verge of another biting comment, but stops herself.

"Yeah. S'pose Beatrix told you that we ain't the best of chums."

Tedros nods warily.

"But." She continues reluctantly, "I guess they didn't get us... 'cause of you an' Bea. So I guess thanks is due."

Tedros waits.

That appears to be as far as Lady A's gratitude goes.

"Oh." He says. "Yeah. That's... okay."

Hester still manages to look derisive with a potential concussion.

"You can't possibly be considerin' him useful, boss."

Tedros flares, even though he's not sure why.

"What, you want me to take you back and hand you over to those guys? I'm sure they'd love to have you-"

Hester sneers.