A New Dusk Part 2

You know it's almost funny how life works. A year ago, you could probably be walking around these streets wondering what gift to get for that special someone. But now it seems an average day in the life includes seeing two freaks fight on top of a truck moving 50 mph in the early morning.

Hello dear reader, my name is Phil Thomas Tippie, and I'm an ordinary man trying to live in a world gone mad though that goal may not be possible for much longer. Over these past two weeks, Philly has been center stage in a conflict that has been dubbed the Vacuum in which all the major crime families in Philadelphia are fighting for control. With so many battles happening left and right, we have been spread too thin and pushed too far.

Hell, if we are talking about me alone, I have stopped a shootout, defeated 8 muggers, and I'm now trying to stop a truck filled with firearms from reaching its target destination all before sunrise on 7 hours of sleep for the past 2 days. Unfortunately, that meant I had to deal with a helix that came equipped with claws for hands, which brings me to right now.

Cold December wind whipped through my body as I'm knocked back near the edge of the truck. Taking the opportunity, my opponent lunges at me with murderous bloodlust! But at the last second, I managed to use my legs to kick him off and pull out my knives to meet his challenges. With the streets blurring past, we engaged in a series of spark filled slashes. I managed to lay out a bunch of deep cuts, but I was down a knife. I was seconds away from knocking him out, but right as we turned, the rays of the morning sun stopped me in my tracks. All I could see was a silhouette kick that I tried to block, but that almost proved fatal as his feet also transformed into the same claws as before and cut into me!

Blood, broken kevlar, and a knife splattered onto the streets as I'm knocked off the truck! But before I could start my intimate relationship with the ground, I decided to test out Chelseas's prototype. Over the past couple of months, Chelsea has been developing some grapple tech that would help me maneuver better. And thankfully, the device worked as intended as with all my stamina I hang on for dear life! But I couldn't even enjoy that for too long as my clawed Helix tried to end my literal lifeline. But at the last possible second, I jumped to the passenger's side of the truck. Once I'm secured, I use my gun to pistol whip the window open and aim it at the driver.

"Stop the car now, or I stop you!"

With pure indifference, he continued driving, in frustration, I tried to shoot at his arm, but the bullet crumpled from the impact. I didn't even bother wondering what happened and stated.

"Are you fucking kidding me right now?"

With no other options left, I fired the grapple gun towards the wheel and diverted us off course. Too bad, it was right in the way of a lampost that sends us all flying! But before I was burdened once more by the gravity and the ground, a trail of fire swoops me up and gently sends me tumbling into an alleyway. Unfortunately, with so many fast changes in momentum and my adrenaline still pulsing, the confusion became too much, and I puked into the dumpster. When I finally stopped coughing and sputtering, I hold my searing wound and greet my savior, Derek.

"Well, that was a little rougher than your usual landings," I say, masking my pain with a light joke.

"Well, I've been running since 2 am, I'd say be lucky I caught you in the first place."

"Don't worry, I am."

The next minute was us trying to catch our breath beneath the rising sun and the sound of police sirens. The only thing keeping me awake was the sound of my heart and my burning wounds. In one fell swoop, our chaotic silence got interrupted by Prophecy's com-link.