【40】Welcome Distraction

Still recovering from my fright, I struggled to contain my elation as I looked at the man before me

Still recovering from my fright, I struggled to contain my elation as I looked at the man before me. It was hard to be this happy and still look reprimanding, which I tried to be regarding his enjoyment to scare the shit out of me.

Not impressed, Tyler was grinning like an idiot, very proud to have spooked me. It seemed big brothers never changed. Once the fright and the shock of seeing him passed, I hit his shoulder with my fist, feeling avenged when he winced. Before he could recover from my attack, I threw myself into his arms.

I held him tightly, feeling all my worries fade off in his embrace. We hadn't seen each other in over six months. Even before my move to Seattle, he had been away in New York.

Still not realizing he was really here, I let go of him, before moving back, taking in the sight of him. How I'd missed him!

Thanks to our video calls, I knew he'd been growing a scruff, almost a beard by now, so the sight didn't shock me too much. Still, it was odd to see him with so much facial hair.

Physically, we were different in some aspects. He was tall and had our father's green eyes, but we were the same in many others. We shared our tanned complexion, curly dark hair, straight nose, and generous lips. We'd often been told that we looked a lot like each other. It had sounded like the worst insult during our childhood, but now, we were both glad whenever someone pointed it out.

With an unshakable grin on my lips, I turned to Tammy, who was watching us with a warm smile. "You two are so sneaky!" I signed for both of them.

Tyler let out a chuckle and raised his hands to explain himself. "Don't blame her, it was all my doing. Kate gave me her number, and I forced her to accept my plan." He then turned to Tammy, with one of his charming smiles. "It's nice to finally meet you."

With one of her broad, toothy smiles, she shook the hand he'd extended with a nod, returning the sentiment. She then noticed someone in the corner of her eye and excused herself quickly to go to them. We watched her go as I got closer to Tyler, nudging him gently.

"For how long have you been planning this?" I asked him.

"I decided to come home four days ago. About the same time I decided to surprise you."

"How long are you staying?"

"Only for the weekend, I'm afraid. I have to get back to Portland by Monday. If I had known your roommate was so pretty, I might have planned a longer stay," he half-joked, his eyes on Tammy, who was talking to Kat, Jay, and another colleague.

I rolled my eyes but ignored his comment. Tapping his shoulder to get his attention, I resumed my interrogation. "Why do you have to be there on Monday?"

"I'm moving back there. I'm leaving New York." My eyes went wide with excitement. Having him living on the other side of the country had been harder than I thought it would be.