Chapter Seven

'Lockdown'

As Hadrian Black entered the great hall, he was forced to resist sneering at the sight that met him. Three Aurors sat amongst the teachers at the head table. Sirius Black was one of the said Aurors. The Slytherins were watching with amusement as James Potter attempted to make light hearted conversation with Sirius, who continued to ignore him.

The only sight that filled Hadrian with joy was Weasley. Ron and Ginny Weasley were sat together, along with a upset Hermione Granger and a disgusted Evan Potter, crying over the loss of their brother. Hadrian loved the look of terror and sorrow that was painted across the freckled faces. Unable to maintain his mask, a small smirk formed on his lips as he sat down next to Draco.

Eventually, everyone was seated in the great hall and Dumbledor was standing.

"Students of Hogwarts, today we mourn the death of a former student who was mercilessly killed last night. He was killed by the assassin, Hades."

Murmurs erupted around the hall, students whispering to their friends and exchanging worried glances. The most well known, deadly, dark assassin had attacked so close to their school.

"In order to maintain your safety, I have hired Aurors. Three will remain within the castle, and join you in your lessons, while five will patrol outside the castle" Albus informed the students, the twinkle in his eye still rather prominent.

"Professor, who was killed?" Hadrian asked innocently, holding back laughter as he saw Ginny and Ron's horrified expressions. Oh, how he loved those expressions, the feeling of fear and sadness that was evident on their faces.

"It was-" Dumbledor began to answer before being interrupted by Evan Potter.

"You slimy snake! It was probably you who killed Percy!" Evan yelled, dramatically pointing his large fingers towards the Slytherin table. His insensitive comment only led to move tears from Ginny. However, Evan did manage to rally Ron against Hadrian.

"You evil git!" Ron managed to yell before Hermione pulled him back down into his seat. After Dumbledor continued and then finished his speech, Hadrian began to eat his breakfast, watching the grieving pair with glee. Under the inspection of Aurors, all the Griffindors were able to do was glare at Hadrian.

***

Very soon, the Slytherins and Griffindors were seated in the Defense classroom, awaiting the arrival of James Potter. The Griffindors were busy asking the Auror who remained with their class questions. The Auror looked rather annoyed at being in the class, especially annoyed by a certain 'golden boy' who was bragging as usual.

"He's a family friend, you know!" Evan yelled triumphantly as he tugged on the sleeve of Sirius's uniform, earning an annoyed grunt from the man.

"Sirius Black, a disgrace to the Black family if you ask me" muttered Draco as he and Hadrian sat at the back of the class. Unfortunately for Draco, his comment went unheard as memories swirled around Hadrian's head.

"Uncle Padfoot! Get mummy to buy me a new broom!" Yelled the large four year old Evan Potter. Sirius chuckled as he looked down at the child.

"Haven't you already got nine brooms?" Sirius questioned as he struggled to heave Evan off his feet, in order to hug the boy.

"That's besides the point, Padfoot. He wants another, so he should get one!" Stated James as he strode into the room. Sirius sighed at his old friend as he put Evan back down onto the floor.
Sirius and James had been best friends, one could even call them family. However, Sirius was getting tired of James's new arrogant, selfish ways after Evan was named 'The Boy who lived'.

Sirius just laughed off James comment, too tired to start an argument. He quickly managed to excuse himself and wandered upstairs to his godson's room.

"Hello Harry!" The man greeted with a friendly smile as he entered the room. However, his smile faltered as he looked around. The wall paper was old and peeling, the bed was probably to small for the too small boy who sat upon it. Harry looked thin, his skin was pale and his glasses sat lopsided on his face, a piece of tape holding them together.

"Uncle Padfoot! I've missed you!" The boy yelled, a small smile appearing on his face as he tackled his uncle in a hug. To Sirius, this happiness look unnatural. The small boy's features were so adapted to his emotionless mask that the smile he wore looked fake and scary on his gaunt face.

"Where's Uncle Moony?" Harry asked, his bright green eyes meeting his uncle's.

"He, uh had a rough full moon. Harry, have you been eating enough?" Sirius asked skepticaly.

"Well, the house elves are always busy so I don't often ask them for food." Harry muttered, avoiding his uncle's gaze.

"Don't your parents feed you?" Sirius questioned, struggling to keep his voice calm.

"Dad doesn't want a squib in the family, so they just pretend like I don't exist" Harry finally muttered after a long silence. Sirius felt his heart break for his godson. He quickly pulled Harry into a large hug, holding the boy as if he would disappear any second.

Anger filled his mind, how could his best friends treat their own son like this?! How dare they treat his godson like this. Harry had turned five today, Sirius had never ,until now, noticed his absence at the parties or his lack of gifts. On that day Sirius Black swore to himself that he would adopt Harry Potter as soon as he could.

"I'll keep you safe Harry..." Sirius whispered into the small boy's messy hair.

Harry watched his Uncle intently. Sirius Black was a liar. He hadn't stopped James and Lily sending him to abusive muggles, he hadn't stopped those muggles- Harry quickly shut his eyes, trying to block out those thoughts. He had escaped the Dursleys long ago, he had killed them.

"Hadrian, are you ok?" The concerned voice of Hadrian's favourite blonde ripped him out of his thoughts. Hadrian let out a sigh before responding.

"I'm fine Draco, just tired" He replied, a familiar fake smile gracing his features. Draco looked unconvinced, but he didn't have time to argue due to Professor Potter loudly entering the room.

"Sorry for being late class! Today we be facing a boggart!" James announced merrily, grinning at the students.

"Well, line up in front of the wardrobe!"

The class quickly shuffled into a line, pushing and pulling to get there first.

Hadrian stood at the back of the line, behind Draco. Standing in the line, Hadrian began to experience a familiar feeling that he thought had been abandoned long ago, fear.

All the other students had irrational fears; spiders, snakes, darkness, clowns. Unlike them, Hadrian had trauma. Deep, dark, haunting memories that would soon resurface.

***

"We grow fearless by walking into our fears"