Chapter 1

Disclaimer: Whenever you see this little * shit, that means there'll be a warning of some sort. Usually it means great sex. Enjoy the book!

I held onto my trench coat in the chilly New York weather. Standing in front of the building,  I grasped the news paper tightly between my fingers. My exposed wrist felt the slap of the cold wind, so I tugged at the material of my leather glove.

Walking inside the building, I had a particular liking to it. The foyer was old, the staircase being that of which you'd see in the Gilded Age. At the base of the railing were ornate carvings of floral details. The detailed wallpaper of the hallway was old, but you could imagine a time when it was vivid with life and color.

Walking up the dark wooden steps, I made my way to the second floor. No one seemed to be standing on the landing, in fact it was so quiet I figured the building was empty. Glimpsing down at my newspaper clipping,

I checked the door number once more before cautiously opening the door.

On the other side of the door was a wonderful apartment. Two studio windows allowed much light to pour inside. In the corner a small kitchenette with another small window over the sink stood. The living room was pretty spacious, but I figured it only looked large because there was yet to be furniture.

I looked toward the area of the apartment where the three bedroom doors were, along with an entrance to a bathroom. The ambiance of the apartment made me feel right at home. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Looking down at the paper, I had to double check to see if I was truly in the right place. The apartment was so spacious, I couldn't believe it was only $49 a month.

I walked to one area of the room and imagined where I'd put a comfy desk with a type writer on top. This apartment was so beautiful I'd have all the inspiration in the world to write my works. And then I turned around and walked toward the kitchen, and imagined the meals I'd make myself. Walking to the dated stove, I touched the tip of my leather glove to it. Did this thing need wood?

Finally I decided to walk away from the kitchenette toward the bedrooms. Leisurely I walked into one. A window toward the right of the room let out light. From it you could almost see a view of the kitchen window diagonally from outside. My heels clicked on the wooden floor toward the next bedroom.

As I opened the door, I quickly jumped at the sight of a man standing there. His back was turned to me, he stood with his hands pressed into the pockets of his coat. He turned around toward me, his blue eyes looking into mine. I was immediately taken by his handsome appearance, his curly hair and strong jaw. But most of all, his ice blue eyes.

"Oh, I'm sorry if I intruded. I didn't realize anyone else was here." I lifted up a hand. Then I looked over my shoulder. "Is the landlord here?"

The man smirked. He must've even in his early 20s. Warmly with his hands still in his pockets, he stepped toward me. "I'm not sure, he was here a moment ago."

I nodded, clasping my hands together.

"But I don't think there's anyway you could be an intrusion on me." He grinned. He had a demeanor about him that made him seem easy-going and lovable, however that is not why I was there.

"I've come for an apartment, not to be wooed by someone with the likes of you." I walked toward a studio window in the bedroom that out looked the street below.

Now the man stood behind me, he huffed at my comment. "The likes of me? What exactly is that supposed to mean, may I ask?"

"Oh, I see men like you all the time. Smooth as ever and looking for something different. People like you and I simply don't work." I told him casually as I looked out the window.