02|Aftermath of Sokovia

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"That's the problem with being the strong one

No one offers you a hand."
~m.t.
⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

The Avengers were gathered around a table as they listened to whatever the Secretary of State wanted to tell them. Freya had taken off her winter coat and sat down next to Rhodey and Natasha.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'." Secretary Ross looked each of them over "And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked, trying to figure out on whose side the man was "How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He turned on a screen behind him.

News footage from past missions of the Avengers and SHIELD flashed on the screen as he spoke "New York." A Chitauri leviathan. Terrified citizens. A soldier that fired a gun a gun. The Hulk smashed into a building and sent a dust cloud to engulf the camera. Loki smirked cunningly.

Freya looked down at her hands as she picked at her left hand. Rhody looked back at her regretfully, feeling sympathy with the woman. Natasha almost reached out a hand to rest on Freya's shoulder but stopped herself as the secretary continued to speak "Washington DC."

The three Insight helicarriers, fired at each other. The destroyed Triskelion. A helicarrier crashed into the Potomac and threw up a massive wave, engulfing citizens. A flash of a metal arm with a red Soviet star on it.

Sam looked down briefly.

"Sokovia."

Terrified citizens, ran. The city rose. A building fell over as Freya and Wanda tried to hold it as long as possible. A burning woman ran away. Pietro ran past multiple people.

Wanda stared at the screen mournfully as Tony looked away.

"Lagos."

The burning building. Paramedics moved a body. A dead girl. A body that had been burned to ashes.

Wanda was particularly affected by the footage from Lagos. Steve looked away from the young girl "Okay. That's enough." Secretary Ross nodded and Freya turned off the screen before anyone else could, earning a glare from the man who was accompanying Ross, he almost seemed to want to take out something from his briefcase.