Chapter 57

Rowan tried phoning Jack, but he wasn't answering or reading his messages. "I hope his dad hasn't found out because if he has, we're all in trouble."

Kaerius looked up from lying on the floor. Michael wouldn't let Rowan out of the house, so they were in Rowan's room, and Kaerius was so bored, staring at the ceiling seemed to be the only interesting thing he could do. "Yes. Mandy, in danger."

Rowan tried to reach for his laptop, but Kaerius yelled, "No work. Rowan rest."

"Kaerius, we're both bored out of our minds. Let me do something." When Rowan was left to do nothing, all he could think about was his wrist. It hurt so much; he sometimes had to pinch himself to focus his pain somewhere else. Michael had given him pain relief which helped a little bit, but not enough to relieve Rowan of the constant reminder that his wrist was broken.

Kaerius got up off the floor and jumped on the bed. He surprised Rowan by straddling his legs and sitting on his thighs. "Better closer to Rowan."

"Okay," Rowan whispered, immediately thinking of something other than Kaerius sitting on him with his hands resting just above his waist. "Um-" his eyes trailed up Kaerius. He had seen the Thalassic Mortal without clothes many times, so he knew what was under his ripped jeans and royal blue jumper. "Kaerius, do you have to sit there?"

"Hurting Rowan?"

"No... it's just..."

Kaerius read Rowan's thoughts. Rowan couldn't yet hear Kaerius, and Kaerius was glad. "Ohhhh. Kaerius pretty, I see."

Rowan blushed when Kaerius grinned with mischief.

"Well, yes. I'm not gonna pretend that you're not insanely hot."

"Hot?" Kaerius frowned and touched his skin to check.

"No," Rowan chuckled, hurting his ribs. "By hot, I mean you're very attractive." His cheeks blazed.

Kaerius watched his skin going blotchy. "You hot too."

"Even with bruises and a broken nose?"

"Of course."

Rowan could barely process the amount of affection hugging his heart. It made him a little breathless, and a little more in love. "This bond thing is a lot more fun when we stop fighting against it."

"Yes," Kaerius agreed. "Feel good." He looked down to Rowan's t-shirt and picked at the hem. When Rowan didn't move, Kaerius started to lift his t-shirt to his chest. He had the intentions of looking and touching, but dark bruises covered Rowan's ribs. "Ouch," Kaerius said, very gently brushing his fingers across his chest and down his stomach. "Very ouch."

"It's okay," Rowan whispered, watching his hands. "It looks worse than it is."

Kaerius traced over Rowan's bellybutton and down until he touched the waistband of his shorts. "Heal like Thalassic Mortal. Feel better soon."

Kaerius's deep voice was pleasure to Rowan's ears. He moved his good hand and touched Kaerius's knee. The physical touch was small, but it was enough to let Kaerius know that Rowan wanted more.

Kaerius hovered over him with hands on either side of his head. He leaned down with eyes only for Rowan's mouth. Their lips touched, and Kaerius's breath hitched. Every time they kissed; the intensity was thicker. The bond knitted together. Recently, they both knew that only a few stitches were needed until they connected properly.

"You taste of salt," Rowan whispered against him.

"Quiet," Kaerius mumbled and kissed him again. Kissing no longer felt like the intentions of just one of them. Their affection had synced; they had the same intentions, the same amount of love, the same needs. "Rowan taste... human."