28. birthday cake

i'd rather be alone tonight

you can say i love you through the phone tonight

really don't wanna be in your arms tonight

i'll just use my covers to stay warm tonight

think i'm better off here all alone tonight

ariana grande, nasa

taehyung's breathing softly hitched as his eyes fluttered open, sitting up straight and staring out the floor to ceiling window at the pitch black sky.

he sighed.

and wondered if he missed dinner, which was basically the only reason he hadn't ran away tonight.

when he glanced over, the cheese plate was still on the other side of the couch waiting for him. he picked a few pieces up and shoved them in his mouth, then checked the time.

nine pm.

loud music softly hummed from downstairs. the stars shimmered in the sky. taehyung used the arm of the grey couch to stand up and start exploring.

he noted the glass table, the bowls of decorative rocks, and the modern art on the walls. then he wandered to the bathroom, flicking on the lights. he cringed when he saw his reflection. scavenging through the drawers of the sink he found complimentary perfumes and a brush.

he carefully combed through his hair, then rinsed his face with warm water. he spritzed a small tube of perfume onto his neck, making himself smell like birthday cake. all vanilla and sprinkles and whipped frosting. when he felt better, he grabbed one of the fuzzy bath robes on the back of the door and wrapped it around himself.

settling back into the couch and flicking through the channels, he selected an anime with pastel colours. there was still a news report on about jungkook and him. taehyung decided that he didn't care. he was still half asleep.

downstairs jungkook smiled, surrounded by business associates and other handsome men at a table. he felt so old, even though he was so young, he felt like he'd been alive forever. like the past few days were centuries old.

suddenly he noticed hoseok standing in the corner of the room and motioning for him to come over. he had already apologized for ignoring him and the alcohol was making him loosen up, so he excused himself from dinner and went over.

"when are you going to let him go, kook?" hoseok articulated with worried eyes as they stood in the corner of the living room, away from the music speakers and guests.

"not sure," jungkook said, thoughtfully sipping his brandy, feeling drunk adrenaline rush through his veins. "i like him."

hoseok inquisitively raised an eyebrow under his chocolate bangs, which jungkook could just barely see in the low light. "no, kook— just no."

jungkook let his brown eyes loose focus and stared back at the party. "no what? i know it's messed up, but i like him."

hoseok tried to think of something to say, but he couldn't. because he knew what jungkook meant. "maybe it'll work out," he said optimistically.

"it won't," jungkook stated, letting his head rest against the wall. "is there a word for opposite stockholm syndrome, for like, when i fall in love with my own captive?"

jungkook meekly laughed while hoseok looked at him with warm eyes. "your first love is so messed up."

"i know," jungkook shook his head and said bitter sweetly, just like his beverage.