Book Two: Chapter Two

We began walking again the next day

We began walking again the next day. Everything was peaceful and quiet until Gamling yelled,

"Wargs!" The warg threw Hama away and Gamling began to fight it. Legolas aimed his bow at the warg, shooting it down. Legolas pulled out a knife and slit the warg's throat.

"Legolas, that was uncalled for," I said, crossing my arms over my chest. He looked at me, a little startled.

"It was a scout. I had to make sure that it was dead." I walked over to the warg and moved it's head with my toe.

"It was already dead before you slit it's throat." Legolas gave an exasperated sigh.

"Look, we don't have time for this. Cmon, we are going to shoot at them," he said, dragging me on top of a ridge. We began firing and hitting our mark everytime. As the wargs got closer, Legolas hopped onto Arod with Gimli and I climbed onto Baralin, my horse. I sped in the direction of a warg, shooting an arrow at it. The warg and it's rider fell but so did I. Something had pulled me off of Baralin. An orc looked at me with beady eyes, ready to strike me with it's spear. I reached out my hand and burnt the orc to ashes. I looked at my hand, pretty proud of myself. I climbed back on Baralin and rode around, shooting flames at unsuspecting orcs and wargs. After awhile, I looked over just in time to see Aragorn tumble off the edge of the cliff. I rode after him until I came to the edge. I looked down and saw him hit the water. I took a deep breath and jumped in after him, diving through the water not so gracefully. I soon found Aragorn at the bottom of the river and I wrapped my arm around his waste, making a slow journey to the shore.

****

Legolas's P.O.V.

I looked around and I couldn't see Arietta nor Aragorn.

"Aragorn! Arietta!" I called out. No reply. Gimli and Theoden came up beside me and we walked towards the drop off. We looked down and saw nothing. Suddenly we heard an orc laughing beside us.

"Tell me what happened and I will ease your passing," Gimli said threateningly.

"He's dead. Took a little tumble off of the cliff. Stupid girl jumped in after him." Befor the orc saw it coming, I grabbed him by his shirt.

"You lie," I said angrily. All the orc did was laugh in reply before dying. I threw him to the ground roughly and then something caught my eye. I picked it up and realized that it was the Evanstar pendant. I quickly joined Theoden at the drop off again and a few seconds later, Gimli joined us. He placed something in my hands, wordlessly. I looked down at my hand and saw Arietta's Fire Agate ring. She couldn't be dead, she just couldn't.

"Get the wounded on horses. The wolves of Isengard will return. Leave the dead," Theoden said and I looked at him with perplexed anger. Theoden put a hand on my shoulder.

****

Arietta's P.O.V.

I placed my hand on Aragorn's chest and slowly moved it up to his mouth. His mouth opened and I withdrew the water. A few minutes later, Aragorn gasped and sat up. He looked at me with a surprised expression.

"Are you real?" he asked before touching my cheek. It confirmed that I was.

"How did you get here?"

"I jumped in after you. Do you have any other that I need to heal?" Aragorn moved around then shook his head.

"Good. Legolas and Gimli are probably missing us," I said. I whistled and Aragorn's horse, Brego, and Baralin came towards us. I helped Aragorn onto Brego then I got on to Baralin. We rode as quickly as we could to Helm's Deep.

***

Legolas's P.O.V.

Aragorn and Arietta came into view and I smiled at them, amused.

"You're late," I said to them in elvish. They smiled and I looked them up and down.

"You look terrible." Aragorn laughed while Arietta sent me a glare. I ignored it and pulled out the Evenstar. I placed it in his hand and then turned ot Arietta. I placed the Fire Agate ring in her hand and her face lit up. She wrapped her arms around me.

"Thank you," she said happily in Elvish.

"It was Gimli who found it," I replied in the same language. She slipped the ring back on.

"I must thank him later. Now, I have to speak with the king."

****

Arietta's P.O.V.

"A great host, you say?"

"All Isengard is emptied."

"How many?"

"Ten thousand at least." Theoden gave Aragorn a disbelieving look.

"Ten thousand?"

"It is an army bred for a single purpose. To destroy the world of men. They will be here by nightfall." Theoden turned away slowly, thinking before quickly turning to me with hope.

"You're a wizard. You can protect us." I snickered, causing Aragorn to gut me with his elbow.

"I'm not that strong. I could probably use fire but it drains me." Theoden stood up angrily.

"So your refusing to help us!?" He shouted at me and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"My only loyalty is to the elves and dwarves. I have no loyalty to men," I said in a threatening tone before walking out of the hall.

****

I walked around for the day healing the wounded. I came to the last man and almost gagged. His stench was horrible and I wasn't even sure if he was still alive. A young woman was crying over him.

"Please help my husband." She turned to me and I saw that she was pregnant. I sighed and placed my hand to his forehead, healing his wounds in less than a minute. The ladies eyes lit up as her husband sat up. I went to leave but the women grabbed my hand and led me back to her husband.

"Dana, this is the girl that healed you." Dana took my hand in his.

"Thank you so much. Is there anything that we can do?"he asked.

"Just have your baby safely." I walked away and ran into Legolas. He pulled me aside with a worried look.

"It looks like we are not going to survive this."

"Yes we are. We have a future." Wait why did I say that? Or did I mean to let that slip. Legolas gave me a confused look.

"You saw my future?" he asked with uncertainty.

"Not exactly."

"What do you mean 'not exactly'?" he asked with suspicion. I sighed and placed my hand on his forehead. At first, he looked startled but slowly his expression softened to happiness. I showed him what I had saw in the basin, all of it, not just my future. When I was finished, he gave me a gleeful look but it had a hint of sadness in it.

"Why didn't you show me this earlier?" he asked.

"I didn't want you to be with me because our futures told it." Legolas wrapped his arms around and pulled me into a hug.

"I've wanted to be with you since I ran into you before the council meeting at Rivendell." We stood like this for awhile until we heard Aragorn and Eowyn arguing. I pointed at them telling Legolas that I was going to eavesdrop and sneakily hid behind some barrels, in earshot of course.

"Let me stand at your side," Eowyn pleaded.

"It is not in my power to command it."

"You do not command the others to stay! They fight beside you because they would not be parted from you. Because they love you!" She said desperately before adverting her gaze.

"I'm sorry," she added as she pushed past Aragorn. I just stood there in shock. Did she just announce her love for Aragorn?