Book Two: Chapter Five

I was awakened by someone begging for help. It was Pippin. Gandalf and my mother jumped up as Aragorn knocked a sphere from Pippin's hands. Gandalf threw a blanket over it before turning angrily at Pippin.

"Fool of a Took!" Gandalf lifted Pippin's head as Merry rushed to his side.

"Gandalf! Forgive me," Pippin begged hoarsely. Then suddenly I was thrown into another world. I looked around and realized that I was in a vision. There was a circle of people and I made my way to the center of it. A lifeless body laid on the ground in front of me. I covered my mouth when I saw that it was me. Legolas had my head in his lap, casually stroking my face while my mother was hysterically crying.

"A lot to take in, isn't it?" a voice said from behind me. I turned around and came face-to-face with Norian the Red, my grandfather.

"What is this?" I asked, gesturing to the scene in front of us.

"It's what you think it is. It's the future, I'm afraid." I shook my head at him.

"I've seen my future. I have kids and I'm with Legolas. I'm not dead." Norian put his hand on my shoulder, giving me a sympathetic smile.

"I'm sorry, little song. Your future has changed." I thought it over for a few minutes.

"I accept it. I'll accept death like an old friend," I said and Norian nodded approvingly.

"You can prepare your friends subtly, but I don't think that the elf will ever be ready for your passing." I gave him a bewildered look.

"Why?"

"He loves you. He will never be prepared for your death. He would have to face it sooner or later though since you are part mortal." Then, just as quickly as I had gotten there, I was pulled back into reality. Everyone was looking at me with a worried look. It was Gandalf who finally spoke up.

"What did you see, Arietta?"

"That I cannot tell you."

***

I walked to the stables the next morning, fighting the tears that were threatening to spill. As I reached Baralin, a hand touched my back.

"What did you see last night?" my asked quietly. I turned to her, letting a tear slip.

"Mom, my future changed. There's no happy ending for me." I began sobbing as my mother pulled me to her chest.

"Legolas will be heartbroken," I said in between sobs. Once I had calmed down, mom pulled away from me.

"Look, when the time comes, I'll comfort Legolas. I have something to give you." She pulled out a necklace with a stone in the middle full of different colors. Moonstone.

"Is this the one you gave to-"

"Your father? Yes, it is. It was a promise more than a necklace. I think that you know what to do with it." I did. I quickly thanked her before running out of the stables and into Gandalf. He grabbed my arms, keeping me from falling.

"Aw, Arietta, the person that I wanted to see. Since you are still my apprentice, I have a job for you to come on." I eyed Gandalf warily.

"I'm the apprentice to Gandalf the Grey. You are Gandalf the White," I said, causing Gandalf to smile.

"I'm still Gandalf. Come, let me tell you about our job." Gandalf and I began walking together.

"We are going to Gondor to warn them about the orcs coming. We will be meeting with the steward. It would be best not to tell him about Boromir's death." I nodded, feeling doubtful about going.