Chapter 2

Moving into the apartment was an experience. As we hauled our furniture up the stairs along with the movers, slowly we got to know one another. At moments I wondered if I made the right choice on living with these two sexy strangers, but nonetheless I went along with everything.

Marlon seemed to be the most abrasive of the two boys. His spirit was dominant, and his demeanor was smooth and alluring. After spending the day around him I got the impression he enjoyed the company of many women. He also was very sarcastic. He constantly threw facetious little jabs at Paul, but the blue-eyed calm fella didn't mind.

Paul was the easygoing type. He kept to himself and didn't say a lot at first, but when he thawed out he was more vibrant and warm. Paul seemed like the kind of guy you'd take home to mother.

The two boys held my brand new desk at two ends as they carried it up the steps. Marlon wore a taupe turtleneck accompanied by brown slacks. Paul wore blue sweater vest layered on top of a dress shirt, along with grey slacks. Paul was walking backwards up the steps while holding the desk, guiding Marlon who was at the rear of the desk.

And what a rear he had.

Both of them seemed to be trying to prove they're the strongest. Once they got to the top, Paul set his side of the desk down and relaxed. Marlon was still very ready to go for more. Slowly I swayed up the steps to them and stood at the end of the landing. I leaned my back against a corner in the corridor, crossing my arms.

"Too much for the both of you?" I asked with a grin. I wore a sheath dress that tightened at the bodice. My shoes were shined and sparkled. My white gloves covered my hands.

"This thing is heavier than it looks." Paul exhaled, combing his fingers through his quaff. His mouth slightly frowned as he looked to Marlon.

Marlon looked back at me over his shoulder, suddenly motivated to prove exactly how strong he was. "Oh come on, it's practically a toy. Say, watch this."

In a swift motion, Marlon removed his sweater off of his body. I pressed my back harder against the wall as I saw each inch of his muscular back become exposed. The wall sconce in the hallway illuminated him, the ripples in his back becoming shadows from the gold light. Marlon attempted to lift the desk toward the center. I was aroused by his effort, and for a moment he had it, until he too had to drop the desk because of the weight.

"Wow... living with my own Hercules." I bit my lip with a grin. Paul stood with both hands on his hips and a satisfied grin. Marlon, who took himself way too seriously, grumpily asked for Paul to give him a hand once again.

"Come on, lets just get the thing in there." Marlon mumbled. Inside the apartment they set my desk by the wall I wished it to be near. Then adjusted it.

"Perfect." Marlon rubbed his hands together, the gold chain bracelet on his wrist clinking along with his movements. "And the movers already got the bedroom furniture, right?"

"It's all done!" A mover came out from the bedroom. All of his men came out behind him. "That'll be $60."

Marlon, who had already boasted that he could take care of the costs himself, reached into his pocket as he sucked in a breath. "I didn't realize how steep it'd be."

"It's fine, I can split it with you." I offered, reaching my hand out toward him. Marlon, wishing to be the man of the situation, took my hand into his and lowered it.

"It's alright, kitten, I've got it covered." Marlon insisted. With a risen eyebrow, I crossed my arms. I couldn't count the amount of times he called me out of my name that day. He finally learned his lesson on his own without my reminding him. "Adele. It's alright, I've got it."

Paul walked over to the couch that sat in the middle of the room and jumped onto it. Lounging, he lifted his feet onto the couch with both of his arms spanning across it. That was a habit I would prefer not to have while in the apartment.

As I walked over to him, he smiled with a grin. Bending over, I nudged his ankles off of the couch. Paul sat up straight as I joined him.

"So, Mr. Newman. What brought you to New York?" I asked out of curiosity. He really was attractive, wasn't he? There was a subtle sex appeal about him.

"Decided to become an actor after I flopped at college." Paul told me, and although he was saying something upsetting he managed to have high spirits.

"What'd you go for?" I crossed my legs toward him, intrigued by him and wanting to know his story.

"Well, I thought I could be a big shot football player." Paul laughed and I laughed along with him. "But that wasn't cut out for me. I was too concerned with parties and girls."

As he said that, his hand that rested on the back of the couch stroked my shoulder.

"Well, well, how many girls did you get? Two?" Marlon asked as he stood over in the kitchen. We both looked back at him. He still didn't have on a shirt, but with a body like his I didn't blame him. Reaching into the ice box, he retrieved three beers. Two were held between his fingers on his right hand and another bottle in the left.

Marlon motioned a bottle toward me. "No, thank you." I answered.

"Don't tell me you're one of those dry girls." Marlon mumbled as he put the beer back into the refrigerator.

"I simply don't drink much." I relaxed onto the couch, my arm running along the back of it. Marlon joined us as he sat on the other end. "And with that... I think it's a good time to go over those rules."

"Rules? You were serious about those?" Paul furrowed his eyebrows with a chuckle. Marlon handed Paul his beer, their hands passing past my body.

"I didn't know she was a stickler." Marlon mumbled with a smirk, popping a cigarette between his lips.

"I'm serious." I insisted as I sat between the two boys. "If we're living under on roof there should be some order."

"Rule number 1, a drink a day to chase the blues away." Paul lifted his beer then took a drink from it.

"Rule number 2, a girl each night to sleep tight." Marlon added with a laugh. Then, his eyes stared into mine as he drank from his bottle a little slower. "Whoever that may be."

I caught his drift, and as I sat there I simply crossed my legs and fixed the hem of my skirt. Paul, sitting on the other side of me was giving me the same eye. "Well, I would prefer it if absolute strangers weren't coming through all the time."

"I love strangers... they give the best company." Marlon joked along.

"Especially when you get to know them." Paul laughed along with Marlon. They both high-fived each other with me still in the center, squeezed between them.

"Why on Earth did I ever agree to live with you two hooligans?" I looked up at the ceiling. "I am serious, I'd rather not have people in and out all the while."

"Fine. We'll keep the playmates to a minimum." Paul put his hand on his chest as he looked to me. "Right, Marlon?"

Marlon's lips around around the bottle as he took another drink.

"Another concern I have is with the bathroom. In the morning a girl needs her time to get herself freshened up..." I pointed out.

"I don't know, Paul looks like he takes a long time in the mirror. Don't ya?" Marlon looked over to Paul.

"Don't worry, Adele. We'll make sure you have your time to gussy up." Paul reassured in a calm voice. "Are there any other concerns?"

"No, not for now." I sighed. There was a silence between all three of us. Marlon once again was staring at me in that seductive way he does, except this time I looked to Paul and he was doing the exact same thing. I stood up from the couch. "I should get some rest."

It was like everyone began breathing again.

"Oh, you're going to retire?" Marlon asked.

"Sweet dreams." Paul grinned. Both sets of eyes watched my backside as I walked into my bedroom.

Shutting the door behind me, I took off my clothing and finally caught rest. My dreams were things that I could never repeat. Not if I still wanted to be considered a lady.