30| E v e l y n

I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess
So I sat quietly, agreed politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the breaking point
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything

-Roar, Katy Pery

30| Evelyn

Mason hadn't picked up his phone. Mason hadn't called back. He hadn't come to pick her up from home. And when Evelyn texted him what's up, he didn't reply. Evelyn sat on her bed with the cold fear spreading across her spine.

Something had gone wrong.

As soon as the realization hit, Evelyn's stomach did a flip and her hands started shaking. She looked at the clock. There was ten minutes left for school and she couldn't wait more. She left for school without breakfast which earned a disapproving look from her father.

Evelyn was five minutes late for her first class. During the class, she kept biting on her nails, tapping her foot, tapping her fingers on the desk and she didn't follow the lecture at all. She almost thought she had grown a little bit out of anxiety, this last few days. But it was back now.

Evelyn made her way to her second class, Maths, where Mason should be. She entered the class with hopes of seeing him. He wasn't there but there was someone else on his seat. A few girls was seated around where Evelyn and Mason used to sit always. A new girl was sitting in Evelyn's seat. She had a smug look in her face. She looked like someone Evelyn had seen before.

Evelyn stopped short in front of their seats. The new girl had the chair moved, with her legs up on another chair, sitting smugly. The others were blocking the path as well.

"Can you step aside?" Evelyn said to one of the girls standing in the island.

The new girl looked at Evelyn. She looked at one girl on her side. That girl nodded.

"She looks average." Said the new girl glancing up an down at Evelyn from head to toe.

"Ugh, well his choice." Said one from behind.

"Yeah, really, he's a bit of idiot. He never realized his status. Is she a damsel in distress?" asked the new girl looking straight at Evelyn.

They were talking like Evelyn wasn't standing there. She was dumbstruck to even response to that. And first of all, who is she?

"Kind of, I guess." One girl replied. The others laughed. Evelyn scrutinized at the girls' faces. They all used to sit in the back benches. Evelyn couldn't remember all of them being together like this. All of them looked like they had woke up at least an hour before school to put on that absolutely perfect makeup, whether Evelyn had just showered and put on a tee and jeans.