Shadows

Natasha stayed back in the shadows when you were around, so much so that you barely knew she was there. It was always the same, she would nod if spoken to and, other than that, say nothing, so naturally you assumed that was just her nature. She herself didn't know what made her so quiet, subdued, but she wasn't stupid and had guessed early on that it had something to do with you.

She had caught your eye the second you saw her. Undeniably, it was partly to do with her looks, but it was more than that, there was something in her eyes, something in the way she kept her head down, that made you just want to throw your arms around her and never let her go.

You had stood out to her when the group of unprepared trainees had swarmed the Compound, earning her attention immediately. Unlike all the others, who were laughing and joking, you were quiet yet collected and keeping yourself away from everybody else. And she had been right, you had turned out to be one of, it not the, best agent from that group of trainees and were now a level 7 agent, like her.

She was slowly building up the courage to talk to you, but every time she ran through the conversation in her head it ended up being awkward, and she didn't know how to avoid that. As much as she tried to ignore it, she knew she was being silly- she could seduce just about anyone, for god sakes, why couldn't she start a conversation with you? Because you like about her, her brain whispered back quietly, slowly growing louder.

You, in turn, wanted to talk to her, but thought she wasn't interested because of how distant she was. And when you saw her with the rest of the Avengers, your suspicions were only confirmed. She was free and full of life, not silent and withdrawn like she was with you. So you had given up on trying to talk to her and written it off completely.

She was getting bored of waiting now, she just wanted to speak to you. So she started small, sending you small smiles and looking more engaged when you talked. Taking part in group conversations that involved you, picking you on 'truth or dare night' as tony liked to call it. Then they became bigger, more obvious. She offered to train with you, sat next to you on movie night, partnered with you during your group workouts.

You loved it. You absolutely loved that she wanted to know you better, but you couldn't stop yourself from thinking that maybe she had an ulterior motive. Or maybe it wasn't there at all? Either way, you were willing to play along just to see her smile. But you also didn't want your heartbroken again, so you needed to talk to her about your feelings.

Today was the day, she was finally going to tell you how she felt. She had no plan, no preparation, she was just going to wing. Which, come to think of it, wasn't the best idea in the world, but she was doing it now and that was that. So when she rounded the corner into your room, she was extremely surprised to see you rushing out the room and, consequently, into her. You both stumble back awkwardly and just stay there, neither of you moving.

"I wanted to-"

"I was wondering if-"

You both stop when you realise that the other has started talking.

"You first-"

"After you-"

Your face, along with her, turns a crimson shade of red when you speak at the same time again. You wave your hand, vaguely motioning for her to talk first.

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to maybe, grab some coffee?" she asks nervously, wringing her hands.

You smile widely and grab her hands, stopping their worried fidgeting. "I'd love too, Nat, I'd love too."

A/n

So this one kinda just fizzled out cause I didn't know where to stop it. But at least I wrote it, woohoo.

Please leave requests

Thank youuuuuu

Byeeeee