Chapter 4: Being alone

It was in the middle of November. The weather was now cold and snow should be coming pretty soon. Some supernatural creatures loved the cold and some would rather stay at home cuddled up in a blanket.

Seo Changbin didn't really like the cold of the winter but he enjoyed it way more than the annoying heat of summer. Why? Because he was a vampire. It couldn't be too cold for him because he had almost no body heat and couldn't really feel coldness either but he could feel heat and the burning rays of sunshine a lot easier than other supernatural creatures.

Changbin was sitting in the living room of his home, which was a big, luxurious, gothic castle build just for him, and watched a report about supernatural creatures made by humans because he had nothing better to do on this sunday evening. The report was stupid, had no real facts and was based on really old myths the humans told their children to scare them. For example, the report stated that vampires die when they came into contact with sunlight and claimed that you could also kill a vampire with a wooden stake. Both things were ridiculous to Changbin and also totally false in general. Vampires could be hurt by wooden stakes just like humans, but it didn't kill them like it was poisoned and the thing with the sunlight was also false. Vampires just reacted sensitive to heat but didn't burn to ashes at the contact of a single ray of sunshine. Changbin turned the TV off because he was fed up with the humans false information and started to ask himself why he even watched the report in the first place.

The black-haired vampire let himself fall to the side and hit the softness of the black couch he was sitting on. Now he was bored again. It was the biggest disadvantage of living alone in a gigantic castle outside of town. Changbin's parents were never here with him because they needed to reign over all vampires as the king and the queen in the main castle in Transylvania. Yes, Changbin could be referred to as the vampire prince. Some people even called him like that but Changbin thought it was ridicules and unnecessary. That was one of the reasons why nearly nobody in his school knew that he was the heir of the vampire throne and because he didn't want to be treated like a prince. You could say that Changbin hated being treated like royalty because he hated it that his parents were always far away from him because of their responsibilities as king and queen.

Still, someday he would also get that responsibility of ruling all vampires put on his shoulders. He was the only heir after all. He had no older or younger sibling who could take that responsibility from him. No, it was his duty, his destiny to someday rule over all vampires if he liked it or not.

Changbin sighed and sat up again. He was bored and he had nothing to do bu it was still too early to go to bed. As if the universe noticed the vampire's boredom Changbin's phone started ringing. The vampire picked it up from the coffee table in front of the couch and looked at the ID. It read "annoying chicken". The young prince groaned, asking himself what it could be that his "babysitter" wanted.

The young male debated if he should just let the phone keep ringing and therefore ignore it but he was really bored, so he just picked up. "What do you want?", Changbin asked after he put his phone on speaker and laid it on his lap. The vampire could hear a gasp from the other end of the line. "You really picked up? I am shook", Jae, Changbin's "babysitter" as his parents referred to him, said. Changbin rolled his eyes at the dramatic response of the older male.

"Do I need to repeat my question?", the young vampire asked, sounding a bit rude. There was a short silence and some background noises before Jae spoke up again. "Oh, yeah. I wanted to just call you and ask you if you want to hang out with me and my friends but I never thought that through because I was pretty sure you wouldn't pick up", the other explained. Changbin raised an eyebrow even though the other couldn't see it. Was he wanted now or not? Why was he even considering agreeing to this at all?