Anxious, But Optimistic

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

The smell of breakfast foods flooded the air. Marlena singled out the smell of bacon, and in that moment craved for it desperately, but she found a few more minutes spent laying in bed before being flashed into the battle of her life was worth it. She was ready for the day ahead, but at the same time she was afraid, though she knew she was not alone. Whatever happened next meant either life or death for every living creature in the universe. The team had so much on the line, excluding themselves and their families; all they wanted was a chance to make things right, and they were prepared to do whatever it took.

With a sigh, Marlena rolled over in bed. She looked at the clock sitting on her nightstand and groaned quietly. It was almost seven o'clock in the morning, and the mere sight of the number on the small monitor was enough to make her want to knock the device into the floor. She wanted to go back to sleep, but not only would her anxiety not let her, Natasha wouldn't either.

"You're the one that wanted to do this, so I suggest you get up," Natasha walked into Marlena's room and began tugging away at her comforter.

"I could always change my mind," Marlena muttered as she pulled her comforter off of her head to look at Natasha.

"We all know that's the last thing you're gonna do," Natasha said matter-of-factly. She walked over to Marlena's dresser and began pulling out clothes for the brunette to wear until it was time to change into their suits. She grabbed a grey, short-sleeve shirt with a pair of black leggings and threw them towards Marlena, who was glancing around the room looking for Steve.

"Where's Steve?" Marlena sat the clothes aside to look at Natasha.

"You know old people," Natasha crossed her arms over her chest. "They're always up before the sun."

Marlena chuckled and climbed out of bed, grabbing her clothes from the bed. "He and Tony making breakfast?"

"Yes and no," Natasha answered. "Steve's doing the cooking, and Tony's bothering him from the sidelines."

"Makes sense."

"Anyway, Steve told me to come get you." Natasha started towards the bedroom door, "He's almost finished getting breakfast ready and said all he wants this morning before we go is for us to be together...as a family or otherwise. I'll tell you this—he's gotten incredibly sentimental over the years."

"Tell me about it."

Natasha turned to walk out of the room, but stopped and turned to Marlena when a thought crossed her mind. "By the way, when this is all said and done, I want my French bracelet," she said, a hint of a smirk on her face. "I still don't understand how you've forgotten to give it to me since May."

"I promise you'll get it, Nat."

Natasha smiled and shut the bedroom door before heading off down the hall. Inside, Marlena was busy changing into the clothes Natasha had quickly pulled out for her. She pulled a pair of socks onto her feet and grabbed her glasses from the nightstand before placing them onto her face. She decided to wait until later to put in her contacts; she didn't want to be late to Steve's little breakfast, though she was sure she already was, and walking down the hall only proved that.