xxxvii. the battle of starcourt

chapter thirty-seven
the battle of starcourt

 THE FLOOR OF STARCOURT MALL rumbled and shook with every step the monster took.

 Rue brought her knees to her chest when she saw goo drip right before her feet, and the girl bit on her fist to stop any sounds coming out of her mouth. However, Max quickly brought her hand down, knowing that she might bite too hard, and she'll end up hurting herself. Max replaced her fist with a piece of cloth she had found lying next to her, it was disgusting, but Rue was not complaining as tears filled her eyes. She could hear the slowly rumbling breaths of the monster, and its shadow was just above them.

 The four froze, not daring to move or blink or even breathe. There was a little puddle of goo growing just a few inches before their feet. It kept falling with a quiet — plink, plink, plink. The ground shook again, and the dripping stopped, and the shadow grew smaller.

 The kids let out thin pants, not wanting to breathe too loud to attract the monster. As if it could even hear — they weren't taking any chances.

 Rue cupped her mouth with her hands, tears running down her cheeks. Her shoulder tensed, and she closed her eyes. Her head was hurting again, a stomach-dropping pain struck at her brain, and Rue bit harder at the cloth in her mouth. She felt like she was being hauled away from her body, her mind getting ripped away and getting pulled into the darkness. What was this? Rue didn't like it — it hurt so much.

 Blood rolled down her nose as she tried to fight it, get away from the pain and bring herself back into control. But with every punch and swing - she was getting chained down as corruption spread in her mind like an infection. It appeared from the depths of her mind, growing and growing — wrapping around every part it could find. It was like cuffs suddenly appeared at her wrists, tying her down into a world she didn't know of — a dark and cold world.