Chapter 37: Hidden Secrets (2)

(This chapter contains some heavy language, and some NSFW comments... I'm throwing out a warning if this is slightly triggering and aggressive. It will come mostly from Kai's POV. He isn't human, and in his own culture, these things are considered normal- not right necessarily. Please take caution when reading, and if it is too much, look forward to my next chapter will be far more sweet and fulfilling)

The room was still, my hands clenched at my sides.
I could feel the burning gazes surrounding me, trying to find a weakness.

Right now, they will find none. How many times did the Mermaid Queen test me, run me through trial after trial in hopes of extinguishing my fears. It was me who was being childish, allowing a mere possibility to frighten me into a corner of neutrality.
I could've been more actively supporting Ceil, the Crown Prince. I could've been less of a hypocrite myself and taken a stand in politics as Ceil had asked me to do.

If I get home... when I get home, this is a side I would like to change. It won't be a fast fix, my own anxiety of the unknown has been ingrained with a mistrustful mind since before I even became Rosalia. I have also taken words with a grain of salt, always hidden my true motives.
Wanting to be stronger... did I only mean physically? Or did I want strength to stand up for myself like I've never been able to do.
For the first time, I spoke my mind. I spoke the truth which weighed me down like lead chained to my ankles. How long have I lived hiding away, from all the troubles I refuse to face.

These men are malicious and terrible, but they are still just men. Human beings.

They have twisted morals, ethics, a strange distinction between right and wrong. Bullying Katrina is wrong- but murdering the girls who did it is considered justice served? When did they become the Judge and Jury?

"I've said my piece, whether you heed it is up to you. I'll be leaving first" I bowed my head formally, before leaving the room.
Ricin didn't speak a single word, merely following me quietly. Kai moves along with me as well, and when I snuck a glance at him once more, the same expressionless face as before... but I could see it in his eyes. Confusion swirled. Since he was experiencing lack of sleep, his eyes were less vibrant, and he always seemed vigilant.

My throat felt dry.

We returned to the guest room, where I began to take out the supplies of my home lab to start making the potion. It takes a few days to refine, and acute concentration. Ricin relaxed himself on the bed, while Kai stood behind me, nearly hovering as I worked.

I felt my irritation rose at his actions.

"You should sleep. I will be awake for a while" I commented lowly, not turning to look at him.

"Rose..." his voice was slightly hoarse.

I didn't answer, continuing to set up the equipment. Prepping took its own amount of time.

"Rose" he called my name again, but I truly wasn't in the mood to answer him currently.

I felt him close in on me. I still tried my best to ignore his presence.

"Rosalia" He growled lowly in his throat. I felt a shiver run down my spine.

These are teenage hormones, I chanted in my mind. Nothing more. A beautiful man is behind me, of course I'd be a bit nervous and anxious.
Attraction is completely normal. I don't need to act on anything. Especially not when I'm so angry...

"...Rosie..."

I froze.

Slowly, I turned my head to look at the sly smile lazily resting on his lips.
Did he just...?