Still here

Chrome and Senku seemed to bond a lot over his collection of various rocks and minerals.
"Oh-hoh! And there it is~! Galena!" he exclaimed while holding said rock, with sparkles in his eyes and a huge smile. "We got us some lead!"

Senku was acting like a kid getting his presents on his birthday. Seeing him this happy and exited made your heart flustered. And though you didn't understand the scientific value of these rocks, you were exited yourself to find a ton of new stuff.
Kohaku though, she didn't get it at all, and even got annoyed by the boys' enthusiasm. You accompanied her to the bridge.

"Sorry to leave you with these two idiots." she smiled. "If I could, I would've invited you in my home."
"That's very nice but, wait until Senku takes over the village first."
"Don't you mean-"
"I know what I said."
You both laughed.

"You know," she said. "I don't quite understand how you're friends with him. You're just so...different."
"Well, you know... Uh... Yeah." you laughed. "I don't know, we just are. That's how relationships work."
'Oh my god why did I say relationships like a fucking idiot?!?!' you thought.
"I see..." Kohaku readjusted the jar of water she was holding. "Anyway, I have to bring this to my sister. See you."
"Come back soon, for an update on the Kingdom of Science!" you waved as she walked away.

You turned around to go back to your new HQ, but then you saw Senku walking towards the bridge with some red and white rock and a few pots, Chrome was following him.
"What'cha doing with that cinnabar?" you asked.
"We'll get some allies." he whispered as he set everything up and began to crush the mineral apart. "Cinnabar, otherwise known as the philosopher's stone." he started one of his little science presentations. "When you apply heat to heat, it becomes liquid metal, or mercury."
"There he goes with more mysterious sorcery." Ginrou said.
"As long as it's outside the village, you can do whatever you want." Kinrou tapped the blade of his spear on the ground. "But if you take one step across this bridge, I will cut you down. Rules are rules."

But Senku didn't listen and just continued his experiment, stirring the mercury after heating it up.
"And in that mercury, we melt down gold dust like so..."
Then he took Kinrou's spear and dipped it in his pot. After that, he placed the blade into the flames, while Kinrou still held on to it. He looked up at him.
"Don't inhale the smoke, it'll kill you." he smirked, which made him tense.

A short while later, he removed the blade to reveal its new golden coat.
"The glistening golden spear is finished!"
"Oh damn~!" you and the others stared at it in wonder.
"Holy crap!" Chrome exclaimed.
"...And just what use does this sorcery have?" Kinrou asked after examining his newly stylized weapon.
"Kukuku, it's not good for crap!" Senku chuckled. "But Kinrou mean golden wolf, so a golden spear fits you perfectly don't you think?"
Kinrou's expression became graver.
"I was afraid that's what you had in mind with this pointless waste of time. And what? Did you think you could buy my favor with this?"

Senku clicked his tongue but was keeping his smile.
"Damn." he said under his breathe.
"Kinrou's a waste of time." Chrome said. "He's about as flexible as a mountain, all he says is 'rules are rules'."
"I mean, okay..." you said, loud enough for him to hear. "But that golden spear though!"
From the corner of your eyes, you and Senku stared at Kinrou, who was still checking out his spear. Finally he walked across the bridge.
"Well... I guess you don't need to go out of your way to take it off."

You bumped your fists with Chrome's and Senku's, who was laughing in his victory.
"That's one more down!" he said with a huge smile.

After a request from Ginrou that probably won't be fulfill for a while, the three of you walked back to the storage-house.
"If you played monster hunter," Senku told Chrome. "you'd be one of those guys that just hordes materials like crazy."
As Chrome obviously didn't understand what he was talking about, you smiled, recalling how you were also like this back in middle school. Back when you used to look for any kind of rock or material that Senku would find interesting. You kinda cringed as you recall that your intentions, at first, were to just win his approval, or attention, you don't really remember.

"You got plants and herbs too?" Senku asked as you and him looked at Chrome's collection more meticulously. "Alderfly, daylily, canker root... They're all traditional chinese medicinal herbs. These are medicines."
You looked over at the brown-haired boy. He looked down, taken over by a faint sadness.
"Yeah." he softly said. "Although I was never sure if they would work or not. I was the only one crazy enough to test them out, so I had to try them on myself. If I could somehow heal Ruri's illness, I'll collect anything I have to. That's the reason why I became a sorcerer."
"A scientist." you corrected him. "And don't worry, I'm sure there's some sweet medicine we can create with all of this." you smiled, hoping to cheer him up.

"Oh! That's right!" he turned towards the mighty science-boy, who was lighting an oil lamp because of the sun setting. "Senku! Isn't there any sorcery, uh... I mean science. That can save Ruri?!"
"I won't know until I see her condition." he responded. "There is a kind of cure-all that exists, but we don't have everything we need to make it." he paused. "Chrome, for now..." he glanced at you as he talked. "We should tell you everything."
"Ow shit alright then." you mumbled and sat down beside him.
"All about what the world was like 3,700 years ago." he continued. "Before it got destroyed."

Chrome ate each and very one of your words as you and Senku talked about the modern world. The global and immediate communication, the various means of transport that allowed you to go around the world. The internet, sky-crappers, music, robotics. You laughed at how he reacted to Apollo 11. The mood went down when that mysterious light, the collapse of everything and the transition to the stone world was finally brought up. You were looking down when you heard a sob. You looked up to see Chrome crying.
"Oww~ it's okay." you leaned over to pat his shoulder.

"Why are you suddenly sobbing?" Senku asked with a raised eyebrow. "That's so out of character for you. Are your emotions busted?"
"I'm not crying!"
"It's okay to cry Chrome." you said.
"Fine! Damn it! Yeah I am!" he looked down with clinched fists. "Who's behind that petrification?! If I find him, I'll kill him!"
You felt your heart sink at the amount of sympathy this boy was expressing.
"Doesn't it just eat you up inside?! What my human ancestors spent millions of years slowly building up... That insane...absolutely crazy civilization! In an instant it was completely wiped out! How could it not just tear me up inside?!"

You smiled and looked over to Senku with a hand on your chest. His smile softened as well before quickly coming back to his signature sneer.
"Kukuku!" he chuckled. "It wasn't completely wiped out you moron. In fact, it's still well and intact. Humanity won't lose that easily."
"Yeah right!" you added. "It's still here, ready to get back on track!"
"Where?!"
"Right now, the humanity of two million years ago," Senku paused. "every last bit of it..."
'He's gonna do it! It'll be super badass! He's gonna do it!' you excitedly thought.

Senku tapped his fingertip on his temple. But you frowned when he also tapped yours.
"It's in us, right here." he smiled.
"Huh?" you just said, confused to say the least.
'What?! Why am I also in this?!'
Still, you staid quiet, not wanting to break his moment. He then tapped Chrome's chest.
"And in you too, am I right?"

"Yeah...Yeah! I've decided!" Chrome stood up. "I'm going to build up a country of science together with you guys! And I'm gonna make a crazy effective medicine, and stamp out Ruri's illness!"
You smiled, happy to see him all fired up and ready to get to work. It made you almost forgot about your previous confusion.

Still, what Senku did, even though he was looking for a very different effect, planted a seed in the back of your mind. And now it was slowly but surely waiting to bloom.