Chapter 11: Broken bonds

Seungmin ran down the corridors of the mansion as fast as he could. He had heard Wonpil's voice call for him. It probably had been his demon voice but it didn't matter to the redhead. His brother's voice had sounded faint and broken, so something must have happened to the older. You couldn't hide your true feelings when you used the demon voice after all, which made Seungmin imagine every little bad thing that could have happened to his older brother. A lot of those scenarios included the two brothers' demonic mother.

The redhead made a sharp turn to the right into another corridor. Wonpil's room wasn't far now. Third door on the right side. Seungmin slowed down until he stopped in front Wonpil's room door. For some reason he didn't know himself, he knocked on the wooden door while trying to calm down his breathing and racing thoughts. A silence followed that felt like an eternity to Seungmin. He tried to listen closely to maybe hear something like a shuffling sound or footsteps but there was nothing beside a suffocating silence, which was occasionally broken by Seungmin trying to shallow the lump in his throat.

"Who is it?", he heard his brother's voice ask from inside the room. It sounded unnaturally cold and closed off. "Seungmin", the redhead answered and didn't wait any further. He opened the door of the room and closed it behind him after he had entered. The redhead kicked off his boots and walked out of the little hallway into the main part of the room.

Now Seungmin could finally see his older brother, who sat on his bed with his gaze fixed on his lap. Normally he would greet Seungmin with a hug or a smile but this time he didn't even move a muscle when his younger brother entered the room.

Seungmin just stood there and looked at his brother. He had many suspicions on what had happened to the older but he still was unsure which one was right. Suddenly Seungmin noticed how the spell that hid Wonpil's demon horns and tail started to fade. This only happened when demons made deals, did it on purpose to show someone or when they couldn't hold the spell upright because they were injured or emotionally unstable. Seungmin figured it was the last thing so he rushed forward and hugged his brother, who immediately held onto the younger.

"What happened? Why did you call for me?", the younger demon asked worriedly after a while of just holding his older brother. Seungmin needed to know what had happened so he could do something against it. Wonpil gently released himself from the younger. Seungmin sat down beside his brother and could finally look at his face. The first thing he noticed was the red bruise on the older's left cheek.

"Mother had a little talk with me after I came back from university. It was about the things father told her", Wonpil answered and bit his lip while trying to stay calm. The older's eyes never left the ground before him. Seungmin was already angry at his mother but he also felt helpless and kind of guilty. Why couldn't he protect all people dear to him? Why wasn't he there for his brother when he needed him?

"It didn't go well, did it?" Seungmin guessed. "It was terrible", Wonpil hiccuped and brought up his hands to cover his face. The younger of the two just hugged the older again. Wonpil tried hard to not cry with trembling shoulders.

"She was not happy with anything of what father told her so the first thing she did was slap me and scream into my face that I am a disgrace to this family because I'm in a group of non magic users. She made it very clear that she ... that she expected more from her first born son", the older continued with a unsteady voice. Seungmin gritted his teeth when he heard that and tightened his hold on his older brother, who fought against the tears that were slowly building themselves up in his eyes.

Wonpil had been in a group called Day6 since he was eighteen years old. The group was founded by Sungjin, Wonpil's werewolf friend, in their time at Miroh High. The other members of the group were Jae, Dowoon and Younghyun.