34: The Engagement

The Engagement

The room filled with silence rather quickly. Nikita stopped dead in her tracks by the doorframe while her mother walked on to Gabriella's dad. Everyone had their eyes on them but no one spoke a word. I glanced at Gabriella but her stare was rather on Nikita who stood weakly by the wall as if she didn't know what to do.

"I thought you were going for the younger one, brother!" Jacob Smith cracked up and soon everyone else joined in it but it still felt awkward. Cole gave Gabriella the phone who glared at him before she waved to the camera then set it on everyone else.

He grabbed a glass and spoke, like his father to get everyone's attention then turned to his dad and Nikita's mother and said, "Congratulations you two and welcome to the family, Miss. Rolling."

I didn't expect Cole of all people to break the ice, then again, he was the smartest out of the three and knew his father would thank him if he did. Mason and I stood awkwardly aside while Gabriella handed the phone to her father. She returned to her brothers' side, and they began to speak rapidly but in hushed tones. Federico's fiancé spoke to Miss. Rolling to make her feel more welcome because none of the Smith spoke to her as if she was a disease.

The only person left in the room was Nikita who stood in a pink silk dress and light blue heels. She gripped onto her white fur coat that hung over shoulders as her eyes darted across the room. Before I even set down my glass to get to her, Mrs. Montero called all of us for dinner.

A waiter picked up our empty glasses then directed us toward the dining room. I felt a tug on my shoulder and whipped around to where Nikita stood with her fur coat over her arm as she glanced around. We were the only two left in the room which seemed to calm her a bit as her shoulders began to relax.

"Just put it over here." I took the coat from her and tossed it over the sofa. She gave me a small smile and confidently tossed her hair over her shoulder since they styled it into a low ponytail. I walked beside her as we entered the dining room where everyone began to take their seats.

Nikita ditched me because Mr. Smith called her to sit next to her mother. Mason took a seat beside Gabriella and on the other side of her was Cole who furrowed his brows at my friend. From the corner of my eye, I saw Mrs. Montero making her way toward me, even though she was a sweet old woman who remained to call me Samuel, I didn't want to sit next to her. I excused myself even though no one asked or noticed my exit to the other side of the room.

I ended up in the kitchen where the chef blankly stared at me with a large pot in his hands. He was about to pour the contents into serving bowls but remained to look at me. Before either of us spoke, the backdoor burst open and a certain blonde walked in that I didn't think I'd see tonight.

"Claire, what are you doing here?" I asked as the chef looked over his shoulder, he wasn't concernedabout her presence and finally proceeded with his work. Her eyes widened at the sight of me but she stumbled across the kitchen and stood in front of me.

"Do you know if I could speak to Gabriella for a few moments?" Claire turned away. I took the chance and studied the folders she brought with her. I only got a brief glance but one of them said Smith Apartments.Was she planning another vacation and was it as urgent where Claire had to tell her something in person rather than a simple text?

"You know what, I'll just ask her brother." She said before I even had the chance to reply, I wouldn't know what to say either way. It wasn't my house, I was a guest.

I followed her gaze where Federico stepped in and began to scold the chef because starters haven't been served. He turned to me with a smile and was about to say something until he saw Claire Morgan. Federico's expression entirely changed, as his eyes began to narrow with a twist of his mouth.