Chapter 7

Our marriage functions are going in a fast pace as we don't have much time till our marriage date, half of the month is gone in shopping for various functions in our marriage and buying gifts for everyone, preparing for all the rasams and booking marriage Hall and stuff like that . And today is my engagement with ruhan. I went with my mother-in-law to choose rings for both of us. Ruhan was busy in his mission stuff and our shift, that is next month so I understood his circumstances and didn't forced him to be there and I am really thankful for him leaving all choice on me. I playfully teased him that I am going to choose really bad ring for him and he said now whatever my wife choose for me is my choice. And that is ladies and gentlemen how you make a girl blush like crazy. I know he was just teasing me just like I did but still you can't control this blood rush on your cheeks and trust me,me and  blushing  are like best friends. So today I'm all ready to get engaged to him and to spend our whole life together. After reaching the engagement hall, I saw Ruhan sitting on chair looking really handsome  'he cleaned up well' I thought inwardly and when he saw me approaching he got up from his seat and waited for me to get there, as I reached there he touched the feets of my parents and I hugged his mother and touched the feet of his father and few minutes later our engagement started. We both get up and rings were given to us, I put ring on his ring finger followed by loud applause and after that he put the ring on my finger. We both sat down and people were coming on stage to congratulate us and to get their photos clicked with us. I feel ruhan shoving my shoulder and I turned towards him to see him whispering "Where is my ugly ring?",and I whispered back,"You are lucky I didn't found any bad ring in that store", And just like that our whole day was spent in getting our photos clicked, teasing each other and dancing. As we didn't had time till our wedding so one week later we had our haldi ceremony and after that mehndi.

Haldi ceremony :-
My whole house is getting decorated for the function and I'm getting slightly nervous as my marriage is approaching fast and today is my haldi. During this day haldi is put on bride's face, her hands and her feets by all the ladies in her family, followed my women singing traditional haldi songs on dhol. Same happen at boys house. Haldi ceremony is done so that bride gets natural glow at her wedding. Just like that my haldi day also came to end and I was lying down with my mother talking to her and taking her advice in how to properly manage my new family. She was telling me that patience and love is the key to win anyone's heart and we both spent whole night talking like old friends. I do not have many friends and since childhood my mother was my best friend. So after few days I'm not just leaving my mother but also my best friend here, who I am really gonna miss. I still remember fighting with everyone whoever said that you'll be marrying one day and leaving your family behind and I always said that this is never gonna happen. But I guess this is reality of life,we girls have to leave our houses one day, to  build a new one. We don't have choice in that. This is the reality every girl has to face one day in her life.

Mehndi day:-
My whole house is filled with our relatives, with everyone coming and congratulating me and giving me advices on how to handle my new family and stuff like that. I'm getting henna on my hands, I have always loved henna and it's smell. During mehndi ceremony henna comes from groom's side that is being applied on my hands and feets. A group of women are singing songs, sitting in front of me, few of my relatives are getting henna on their hands and some are dancing on dhol. This is the beauty of Indian culture. We have so many beautiful traditions that our house is liven up by them. Toady it felt really nice being surrounded like that my nervousness has completely come down.'what is name of your husband di? My mehndi vali asked. I said 'ruhan' and my sister said from behind that hide the name really well that our jiju will need a microscope to find out and everyone start to laugh. And just like that my mehndi function also came to end. Now  day after tomorrow is my wedding with ruhan. After 2 days my whole life will be changed forever,I'll have new responsibilities that I have to manage really well. But I guess now I'm feeling more prepared.