F O U R T E E N

Chapter 14
Alison

               "Um, that's not the way to the house." I point out to the driver that Leo has sent for me. Coincidentally it's the same driver that fetched me from my home town, and to stop calling him driver I've learnt that his name is Wilson.

He looks at me from the rear mirror and smiles with a nod. "I know. Mr O'Neil has requested that I take you elsewhere."

With a hesitant look, I nod and look outside the window. Somehow my though linger to my day as a whole.

I don't know why I was nervous because it was honestly great. I was even able to make a friend who goes by the name, Maxwell Anderson. Maybe it has something to do with the message Leo sent me.

Ugh, I think I'm blushing again.

I don't know what this hold he has on me is called and honestly I'm not willing to find out, because something in me tells me that I will definitely get hurt in the end. But I should give him the benefit of the doubt, right? He is, after all, my husband.

Not yet.

Before I can take my thoughts further, the car halts. "We've arrived." Wilson says causing me to look out the window.

A large building comes to view. It consists of mostly glass for walls instead of brick walls, and I'd say it's about 12 floors tall. The name O'Neil Corporation is written on top of the entrance.

I look back at Wilson. "Is this Leo's business?"

He nods. "Now I don't know why he requested the you'd be brought here but how about you go and find out?"

With a hesitant nod, I open the door and exit. I smooth my skirt and adjust my bag, and start walking towards the entrance.

As soon as I enter the building, heads turn to me some even giving me a look of judgement. I don't honestly blame them because I'm wearing casual clothes in a corporation where people only wear formal clothes.

Great, now I feel singled out.

"Hmm, sorry miss." I turn to the source of the voice and see a woman with blonde hair behind the reception table . Her lips thick and painted with red lipstick. I can't really see what she's wearing because she's sitting but I can definitely see how that white blouse is tightening her and almost exposing her breasts.

Is this an escort business?

"Can I help you?" The woman voices.

I nod. "I'm actually here to meet Leonardo."

She stares at me for a few seconds before speaking again, "Leonardo as Mr O'Neil?" I nod. And she soon after releases a stringof laughter. "Listen here Pumpkin, Mr O'Neil doesn't have any meetings today." She eyes me from head to toe. "Especially with...you."

Okay, to say that I wasn't at least a bit offended would be a lie. What does she mean that he doesn't have meetings today? He called me. And what the hell does she mean that not with someone like me?

My blood begins to boil as I think that by now I should be in bed, binge eating and watching, yet here am I having to deal with this bull!

"No, you listen here Pumpkin. Your fucking boss told me to meet him here, now be a doll, call him and stop acting like a-" my words get cut off by a voice behind.

"Is there any problem here?" I turn and see Blaire here. Suddenly my mood begins to pick up as a smile makes its way to my face.

"Yes, this girl is trying to get into Mr O'Neil's office yet she doesn't have an appointment." She just doesn't shut up does she?

Blaire sighs behind me, "She doesn't need an appointment to her fiance. " She says, putting emphasis on 'fiance'.

The woman is left with her mouth with her mouth wide open as Blaire and I make our way inside the elevator.

As soon as the elevator doors close, Blaire throws herself at me and engulfs me into a hug. "I missed you so much!!" She exclaims in excitement.

I chuckle and return the hug. "I missed you too Blaire-Bear." I tease her with the nickname that Alex called her days back causing her to let go of me and grumble.

I honestly did miss her and it feels like it has been weeks since we last met. I can't wait for her to meet Penny, I'm sure they'll get together well.

Soon enough, we reach our point of destination, the big boss' office floor.

"I'm just here when you need me." She gestures at a glass table, "he's office is over there."

I nod and make my way to his office. With a much hesitance, I lift my hand and knock. I wait a couple of minutes before hearing a faint "come in".

Opening the door, I wished I would have physically and mentally prepared myself for what I'm seeing right now.

Leo's behind a brown oak table surrounded by his laptop and files of papers. His blue eyes still glistening behind his glasses, which I didn't even know he has. The white shirt sleeves are rolled up until they reached his biceps. He occasionally bites his lower lip as he concentrates.

Okay, Leonardo O'Neil is the epitome of handsome!

"You know it's ride to stare," his voice breaks me from my stare.

Blood rushes to my cheeks but I try to hide it by rolling my eyes. "Whatever." I sit down on the chair opposite to him. "So why did you call me in?" I question.

He looks at me for a few seconds, but not in a creepy way, the kind of stare that sent butterflies in my stomach. "Give my few minutes to finish this." He says.

I nod and start taking out my phone since I can't stare at him as he does that. Lord knows I won't be able to handle that.

~~~

It's been an hour and a half since I've been here and I'm starting to get bored. Leo hasn't even spared a glance at me.

I should be binge watching as we speak but here I am instead, watching a man work. "Why am I here?"

For the first time in forever, he looks up from his work and frowns. "What do you mean?"

I sigh. "Leonardo why did you bring me here if you're just going to work the whole day?"

Silence.

He reaches out for something in the drawer and hands it to me. It's a small square blue box. "That's why I called you, you can leave now." Leo says casually.

I open the box and see a big diamond ring inside, way to big for my small finger. "An engagement ring?"

"Yes, to show that you and I are in a relationship."

I stare at the ring for a couple of seconds but something doesn't feel right, like something is missing. Maybe it's the fact that the ring is too big or the fact that I wasn't traditionally asked, with him going down on one knee.

"Is that all?" The words escape from my mouth before I can stop it.

He looks up again and shrugs. "Do you want money attached too?"

My eyes widen. The way he said it, like I'm some sort of gold digger. Is that what he thinks of me?

Instead of answering, I take my bag and box and exit the office. I don't even regard Blaire who shouts for my name, as I walk inside the elevator.

Maybe I shouldn't feel hurt, because no one said this will be easy.

••••