Chapter Forty-Two

TANIA

Nia woke up held protectively in his arms

Nia woke up held protectively in his arms. She felt content, treasured like she'd never been before. His scent wrapped around her, adding to the contentment she felt. And her mind wandered back to the day before, the most memorable day she'd ever had.

After their run, Lex had taken her to the pack boathouse, she hadn't even known they had one. Which had prompted her mate to take her on a tour of the pack. Nia had loved meeting members of the pack, those that lived withing the large community surrounding the main pack house.

She'd gone to the second packhouse, where ordinary pack members stayed if they wanted time away from their families for any reason. For the most part, the people had been welcoming with the exception of a few standoffish ones. Nia though, understood that pack dynamics called for mistrust of someone outside the alliance.

It wasn't something those in the hierarchy fostered, just something that grew from the fact that rarely did a were find a mate outside the alliance. Couple that with the reality that most meetings with other alliances were even more rare and usually tense. It all made it hard for them to trust her as their future Luna.

Nia had especially loved meeting the kids. Their love had been instant, a response that was pure werewolf. An instant connection to their luna that no adult caution could counter. She'd opened her heart to them just as easily and knew she'd spend a lot of her time with them. Somehow the ache that resonated in her soul lessen with their presence.

"Is it true you're a healer?" A sweet little girl no more than eight had asked.

With a smile Nia crouched until her gaze was level with the girl's troubled eyes. "Yes." She stated.

"Can you heal my sister? Her wolf won't come out."

A pained gasp vibrated through the air, Nia felt the shame and anger from the sister and ignored her as she called an admonishment to the little girl. Nia kept her gaze on the brown ones before her. She knew the older sister wouldn't have the courage to yank her sister away, even as she wanted to.

"Our wolf only awaken when our bodies are strong enough to hold the power they have. Usually that's when we turn sixteen," the little girl nodded, still serious faced. "Do you know what happens when a wolf comes out before we're strong enough?"

"We die." She replied and it was Nia's turn to nod.

"Yes we do. But there're some people who shift before they turn sixteen but don't die. Those people's wolves are not as powerful as others in their families, their bloodline."

The girl frowned. "Really? How come?"

"Well you know how people have hair colour like their parents or grandparents?" She nodded again. "Well sometimes people get hair that none in their family has and that's kinda like the shifting thing. Even with parents who shifted on time, a person can shift early and be weaker or later and be stronger than their parents."