48

****

"One earl grey tea with milk and three sugars", I said, setting down the steaming mug, "And one black coffee". The dim light of the library made it almost impossible to see the faces of the two figures sitting snugly in the familiar corner booth. "You are a lifesaver, Briony", Remus smiled. He looked tired and weary, however this was unsurprising. The full moon was two nights ago. After he had told me his little secret, I had tracked the moon cycle to make sure I was extra kind to him during the days leading up to and prior to the full moon.

"Thanks, babe", Olivia grinned, clutching the cup tightly to her chest. "I can't believe we already have an essay due for charms", I sighed, pulling out my quill and dipping it in the jet black ink sitting on the table. I scribbled my name in the top right corner of my parchment paper. The curling ink settled into the pages, fading. For a moment, the only sounds were those of scribbling of quills and clinks of mugs hitting the table.

I glanced up to check the time when I noticed Remus looking at me. I raised an eyebrow and he glanced down quickly. I bit the inside of my cheek. Remus' eyes were trained determinately on his charms book. I glanced beside him, Liv was slumped over on the table, light snores sounding from her mouth.

Reaching across the table, I snapped Remus' book closed. He jumped and looked at me. "Okay, what are trying not to say?", I folded my arms across my chest. "Hmm?", he said, his attempt at nonchalance betrayed by the waiver in his voice. "Remus", my voice was even. He let out a sigh and ran his hands through his hair.

"Something is wrong with Sirius", he said very quickly. My heart sunk. Of course this is about him. "Okay", I said cooly. He shifted from side to side. "I don't know what to do. He just hasn't been himself. He's not going to classes, he barely talks to us. He stays out all night with...", he drifted off. "With Lydia", I finished for him. It was no secret. The entire castle knew about Sirius Black and Lydia Knight. In the first two weeks of classes they had been caught doing... intimate things in six different parts of the castle.

He cleared his throat. "Yes, Lydia", he looked at me as if I were about to yell or cry or something. I just shrugged. "What do you want me to do about it?", my voice was harsh, cold. Remus looked taken aback. "I don't know... I just. You have a certain way with him", his eyes scanned my face, but I kept my steely exterior.

Suddenly, I stood. "I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do to help him anymore. I'm going to bed, goodnight", and with that I was gone. Once I was out of sight, I didn't even attempt to keep the tears at bay. They spilled down my cheeks harshly, and I tasted salt. Pushing open the door to the common room, I rushed up the stairs and threw myself into bed. Poppy rubbed against my leg, causing me to cry even harder.

My heart felt like someone had forced it apart. Like someone had carved it out of my chest. The pain was like nothing I had ever felt before. I wanted to help him more than anything. I wanted to love Sirius Black until the day I died, but he wouldn't let me. I cried and cried until sleep claimed me, and when I woke up, I could still feel the sting of fresh tears.

*****

Talk of another party like the infamous Gryffindor bonfire circulated the castle. It was all anyone seemed to be able to discuss as the leaves began to change from bright greens to vibrant yellows and oranges. When someone mentioned it to me, I simply rolled my eyes and told them I would not be going, as the last one ended so horribly and I would not be caught dead at another.

That is why when Calum Archer asked me if I planned on going to the bonfire that friday night while we circled the lake I laughed and rolled my eyes. "Not you too", I said, taking a sip of the coffee Calum had brought me. It had become a sort of ritual for us to watch the sunrise on the lake. It was nice, peaceful. "Oh come on, Bri", he said grabbing my shoulders and lightly shaking them.

I let out a laugh and shoved him off, "There is no way in hell I would be caught dead at another stupid bonfire". He pouted his lips and batted his eyelashes, "Pretty please". I laughed even harder. Calum was different than he was last year. And, actually getting to know him was very surprising. He was the youngest of 4 brothers, who had all been head boy. Yeah. He felt like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

"If you come with me to the bonfire", he said stopping suddenly, causing me to bump into him, "I will buy you one treat from Honeydukes every time we go to Hogsmeade". I rolled my eyes and tossed my head back. "Calum", I said, my words drawn out. He just smiled at me, his shiny teeth even whiter in the morning sun. I folded my arms across my chest and considered my options. Was it a disaster last time? Yes. Could it possibly be a disaster this time? Yes. Would sitting in my dormitory being sad for one more day make anything better? No.

"Fine", I started to walk again, "But if I don't have the best night of my life, I'm never talking to you again". He let out a laugh and grabbed me around the waist, spinning me around. "Victory!", he laughed. "Put me down!", I cried through giggles. Neither of us noticed the rustle of leaves or the pattering of paws as the large black dog retreated back towards the castle.

——
Authors note:
Hey guys!! Honestly I'm super dumb and totally forgot that I made him a year above them... so we're just gonna pretend they're all the same age hehe

CCC