65. Betas

-Tilly-

-Tilly-

I couldn't sleep at all. I wasn't even able to close my eyes. To be honest... I was scared to death. The courage I thought I had vanished the second Arch got shot, and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it back. I stared at the ceiling throughout the night, battling against the fear of losing my loved ones that was trying to paralyze me.

And just when I thought that I was finally getting a grip, I heard loud noises coming from the hallway.

"Where are they?!"

It was my mom, and the panic in her voice sent me flying off the bed as I hurried to the door, feeling fear suddenly strangling my throat. I pushed the door open almost at the same time as Arch, and when I looked past him, I saw my mom going into the room where Oliver and Jaden were sleeping.

Or were supposed to.

"They're gone!" I could hear her yell at the guards who were quickly changing into their human forms.

Both Arch and I hurried to her, and to my horror, the room really was empty.

"No one has stepped a foot out of the door, Huntress," one of the guards said, his face turning pale. "We were watching it the entire night!"

"They are not here!" Mom said loudly, looking around in stress, while I was getting really scared.

"Impossible!"

"What's going on?" I asked in a whisper.

Mom turned to look at me, grabbing me by the shoulders. "Did you see or hear anything? Do you know where they could've gone?!"

"Nothing," I muttered, staring at the empty beds. "I didn't notice anything..."

"Arch?" Mom turned to look at him, but he shook his head as well.

"You must've missed them!" Mom turned to yell at the guards, who were shaking their heads.

"There is no way they could've walked out that door, Huntress," one of them hurried to say, getting seemingly angry at her for suggesting that they hadn't taken their job seriously. "There's ten of us patrolling this floor alone, and none of us closed our eyes even for a second!"

Mom snapped her mouth shut, and let go of me. She turned to look at the room, like she hoped Jaden and Oliver would still be there, hiding from us. I was nearly panicking when the situation finally sunk in. If they didn't leave the room...

"Maybe Oliver phased out? Maybe they're in the spirit realm," I suggested, but Mom shook her head.

"Jaden isn't a Spirit Walker. He can't go into the spirit realm."

"Mom... The Book of Shadows," I gasped, almost starting to cry on the spot. "They got Jack here with that thing!"

"No..." Mom muttered, placing a hand over her mouth. She, too, looked like she was about to cry. "That's not... They couldn't have..."