11 | Too Busy Flirting

P E A R L

P E A R L

"Since I know your minds are all boring and bleak, let's do an activity," Mrs MacQuoid's high pitched voice rang through the classroom.

It was only the first hour of school and I wanted to drown out her voice with sleep.

Zion wasn't in class yet.

I hadn't really seen much of him since a few days ago when he scrambled off with River.

Even though I didn't know much about them, I hoped they were okay.

A faint feeling of dread loomed over me as I thought of how my family felt when they found me lying on our front porch, passed out, bruised and bloodied.

The sound of the door opening made those memories fade and completely disappear for a moment at the sight of Zion.

I forced myself to only look at him for a split second before delving through my writing book. The only problem was, if he saw that no one else was doing the same, he'd become suspicious of my jittery actions.

Mrs Mac didn't lecture him for his lateness this time, and I guessed he had a legitimate reason.

"Take a seat, Zion," She dragged her words, her tone accusing.

I saw him saunter toward his seat, but he took a turn and sat in the empty chair beside me.

My eyebrows almost shot up in surprise.

"Switch writing books with the person near you," At the sound of the teacher's proud voice, my eyebrows did.

Hell no. Nuh uh.

The writing piece I had once written about Zion's eyes was pledged with ink into the papers of my book. There was no way I was willing for him to actually read about it.

From the corner of my eyes, I noticed Zion's figure leaning closer to me.

"Hey," He paused, his voice low. "I got a question,"

I hummed, gesturing to him to continue as I let my eyes scan the blank papers that slipped past my fingers.

"Mr Collins saw me earlier," I could almost feel his warm breath on my arm. "He said you had something to give me."

Oh, right.

"The assignment paper," I turned my head to face him, and hated the way my heart raced at the sight of his eyes so close to mine.

It was relieving that I caught his breath hitch. At least I wasn't the only one.

Maybe I moved too fast and caught him by surprise... Yeah, probably. That reason made me feel better.

"Yeah," He murmured, nodding once, his dark eyes not straying away from mine.

I nodded back, swiftly grabbing the sheet from my bag and holding it between us.