14 | A Single Touch

*a/n: mention of suicide*

Z I O N

I was about to walk back home.

Every second thought was more powerful than the next, and I couldn't help but feel like I made a mistake.

Pearl was something else.

Ever since the party at the beach a year ago, I knew she was trouble. Or that trouble was bound to follow her.

She didn't even remember me approaching her. That night was probably too traumatising for her to remember, so she must've blocked it out.

I sat on the park bench, my body appearing relaxed, but my head was spinning with thoughts and questions.

A rustle from the sidewalk caught my attention, and I watched a familiar face approach me.

"Hey, Zion," Pearl offered me a small smile, her voice a gentle sound.

"Hi, Pearl," I stared at her eyes, attempting to not look like it was obvious that I had no idea how to talk to her.

She wore a white crop that stopped just below her bellybutton, oversized blue jeans that had a few rips in them, a black jacket that covered most of her body, and white sneakers.

My eyes rose right back to hers when I realised it looked like I was checking her out.

"That things gotta be real annoying, huh?" Her eyes landed on my ankle monitor, the bulky straps feeling heavier under her gaze.

"It's almost been three weeks and I'm still not used to it," I muttered, watching her eyes drift back to mine.

I hated that I felt satisfied at our eye contact.

It didn't look like she was even thinking about that as she walked closer and sat on the empty space beside me.

Her hair was out, a sprawl of natural dark waves rushing down her shoulders.

It reminded me of the night of the school dance. The name Riot came to mind, and I restrained myself from asking her anything regarding that night.

She would remember at her own time. I'd have to wait a little longer. It didn't matter. As long as she did it on her own pace, I would wait months.

"Let's hope you don't get too used to it," Pearl looked down at her intertwined hands, chuckling lightly. 

There was a small rasp in her laugh and I was drawn to how it was sweet and low all at once.

I didn't even reply.

I guessed she stopped herself from smiling when I didn't have anything to say, biting the inside of her cheek.

Wanting to see it again, I said, "If it means meeting up like this, I wouldn't mind it."