13

Hands shaking, knee bouncing, I sit on the uncomfortable plastic hair, watching Sofia act busy.

A soft hand finds its way on my knee, forcing me to stop jittering, and the warm hand stays on my knee.

In a low voice, "It's going to be alright", Kyle says. The only sounds in the room are the receptionist's keyboard sounds and her occasional throat clearings.

Still watching Sofia from the corner of my eye, I reminisce a painful memory dating from only a week ago, sadly involving myself, Sofia, and Dr. Alexander.

"Did I tell you that Diana heard me admit she was hot?"

Kyle gasps, and squeezes my knee, urging me to say more.

"I basically told Sofia she had the hots for her boss, and that if she did, I'd understand" I whisper, aware that talking to loudly would create another embarrassing situation I'd rather avoid.

Kyle seems to understand, and asks in the same tone, although rather urgent to know the answer. "Oh my God! And what did she say?"

His harsh whispers draws Sofia's attention, and hoping she can't make out the fact that she's the subject of our conversation, I send her my most convincing smile, with a little wave of the hand, and her disgusted expression before she turns her head back to her computer tells me I failed.

"Nothing. She acted disgusted."

"So, not too bad, is it?"

I fake another smile, this time directed at Kyle. "Oh no, not too bad at all, except I later learned from Diana herself that Sofia is her niece."

The back of his hand pressed against his mouth, Kyle loses himself into a fit of coughing, barely covering the fact that he his shamelessly laughing at my most embarrassing story to this day.

"Fuck off," I hiss, rolling my eyes at his tactlessness.

"Sorry, but you have to admit, you kind of fucked up there." He resumes laughing, under Sofia's glare.

I close my eyes, leaning my head back against the wall, awaiting for my sentence.

"Kennedy Grant, please come in."

I jolt and sit up, her voice awaking me from deep thoughts.

"Unless you'd rather stay here and sleep. Good morning, Kyle."

Feeling my cheeks burn, I stand up, walking in her dark office, and faintly hear Kyle and his professor exchanging pleasantries, before the door closes and Diana sits opposite me, quietly assessing me.

"So, they can't hear us, outside?"

A compassionate smile, then in a soft voice, Diana, or Dr. Alexander answers. "No, they can't.. We can hear them if we really pay attention though.. Like I heard you last time."

I quickly thank God I can't blush, and shift in my seat to hide my embarrassment.

But then, what is worse? Me saying my therapist is hot and that everyone is allowed to be into her? Or her eaves dropping on a conversation between her patient and her receptionist?

"It's alright, Kennedy. Now, I believe last week, we said we'd talk about whatever is hurting you. Now, I don't want you to feel obligated to anything, so I'll sit here, and you tell me whatever you want. I just want you to express yourself. It can be about your least favori-"

"I've been beaten. Quite severely I must say. By my dad. Since I'm- a baby. Earliest memories, ya know? I think he broke my ribs once. Or twice? And my nose. Haven't you noticed my nose?"