Chapter 26

What are the qualities of a real friend to you?

Blair's POV

The sky was smoothly invaded by the hues of orange and yellow with the occasional fluffy clouds. The subtle conversation around me went into murmurs as I was getting lost into my thoughts. 

The feeling of betrayal was still lingering in my mind as the image of what happened this morning kept replaying. 

Sighing, I closed my eyes to collect myself. 

"Blair," I heard the rather timid familiar voice say. 

Opening my eyes, my mouth fell open when I saw Hazel standing in front of me. Her luggage was right next to her as she was looking at me nervously. 

"Hey," I said, not really knowing how to react. 

"I wanted to talk to you before leaving," she said as she reluctantly sat next to me. 

Not getting a response from me, I heard her sigh as she lowered her face. 

"You knew all along that I was Cyen's wife, didn't you," I asked her, somehow dreading the possible answer. 

"Of course not. I genuinely didn't know. I swear... It was purely accidental that we met at the cafe," she said, looking at me with so much hope. 

"I am sorry that I was thinking too much into it but still, Cyen is the man that you are in love with, isn't he," I asked as I finally looked at her. 

"Yea I admit that I still love him but I know that I can't expect him to love me back since he has you. I'm moving on," she said with sincerity. 

Despite her sounding very sincere, I couldn't help the nagging feeling that she might be lying. 

"I want to believe you Hazel but it's still my husband we are talking about. I feel like it would be weird to knowing that my friend at one point had feelings for my husband. I hope you understand where I'm coming from," I said as her expression dulled. 

"I understand... I was really looking forward to spending time with you but I guess it won't happen now," she said with a weak smile. 

"Thank you so much for understanding," I said as she stood up. 

"I better get going," she said as sadness clouded her face. 

At this point, I was feeling deeply guilty as I watched her. 

"Can I have a hug before you go," I asked her as I gave her a smile. 

She gave me a smile before pulling me into a hug. 

"It was great knowing you," I said as I was now feeling sad. 

"I loved meeting you too," she said just before we pulled away. 

"I hope you have a nice flight," I said as she started walking away. 

As I watched her out of the door, I was immediately startled when someone poked my arm. 

With my hand resting against my heart, I looked behind to see Nathan standing with a completely blank face on. 

"Why would you creep on me like that," I said as I was breathing heavily. 

"You know, you really make it hard for me to ever believe you," Nathan said, completely ignoring what I said. 

I frowned as he crossed his arms across his chest. 

"What do you mean," I asked him as I scrunched my nose in confusion. 

"I mean you are friends with Hazel so how can I not be sure that you are not plotting with Hazel to fool Cyen and steal all his money," he said.