Chapter 16: The Park

I don't got this.

I definitely don't fucking got this.

My fucking arm feels like it's about to be ripped out of its socket.

The burn in my legs and arms and stomach tells me that I'm going to have had an awesome workout by the time this is done.

It hasn't even been five minutes.

Pickles, being the puppy he is, stops every five seconds to sniff at something, and then he tries to run ahead, almost pulling my arm off in the process.

Zeus, I've since discovered, is reverting back to his immature puppy self, if he wasn't always like this, and is basically doing what Pickles is doing.

He joins the pulling contest whenever Pickles runs ahead, making my arm hurt even more, and he stops to bark at trees and squirrels every time he sees one, which is a lot.

Why are there so many fucking squirrels? I think to myself as Zeus stops and starts barking again.

The only one mildly behaving is Blue, and even then she's lost some of her self-control.

I guess the new sidewalk with new trees and stuff is exciting; new environment and all that.

"Come on, Cassie," Aaron laughs. "Just give me a leash."

"No," I say stubbornly, continuing to hold onto Blue's leash in my right hand and Zeus and Pickles' leashes in my left. Which is weird because I'm right-handed so I should be placing more of the strain on my right hand, but I'm stupid, so, you know. "I got this. We're almost at the park."

We are nowhere near the park.

My neighborhood doesn't have a doggy park, and dogs aren't allowed in the regular park, one that has a swing and stuff.

I used to take Snow to a public park, one that was less than half a mile away from my neighborhood.

With her, the trek was easy, and we played there for a bit and then came back home and cuddled.

With three dogs, however, it's not that easy.

"Cassie," Aaron says, softer this time. "Just give me Zeus. I can handle him."

I sigh and reluctantly hand Zeus' leash over to Aaron.

The strain becomes easier as I'm able to better control Pickles.

I hate it when he's right.

We continue to walk along, me feeling much more relaxed, until we reach the park.

All three dogs immediately perk up at the sight of the dozen other dogs milling around, and Pickles and Blue start dragging me towards the enclosed area.

I glance back at Aaron, who's leisurely strolling towards me at a ridiculously slow pace.

Even from how far I am from him and Zeus, I know that the male Husky is straining against the leash attached to his blue collar.

And Aaron isn't even batting an eye, the muscles in his right arm flexing periodically.

He smirks at me once he catches me ogling his arms, and I glare at him, my body twisted as I glance back at him while stumbling forward.

His eyes look to something behind me and they widen, the smirk dropping off his face. "Cassie––"

My body hits a hard surface and I fall to the ground, Pickles and Blue tangled in their leashes that are wrapped around the person that's standing in front of me.