Aftermath 2/4

PEPPER

Pepper watched Peter, who was on the couch under the blanket, watching something on TV. Today she had forced him to do some homework, but besides, he hadn't left the couch again, and she was worried about him. She wanted to release him so much from the pain, but how was she supposed to do it when she couldn't even do it with her own pain?

"Today was terrible ..." sighed Tony, who suddenly appeared behind her and hugged her from behind.

"Don't worry, I'm going back to work tomorrow," she murmured, leaning against him.

"Are you sure? I can still handle it, no pressure here," he said, kissing her cheek.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Will you make sure he eats something for dinner?" she asked gently, turning to face him, but still in his embrace.

"Of course. Are you going somewhere?"

"Uh, I'm going to May," she replied, pulling away from him.

"Okay, do you need Happy to drive you?"

"It's fine, driving calms me down."

"Be safe," he said with a small smile, giving her a gentle kiss before moving into the living room. Pepper watched as he sat down on the couch beside Peter, who immediately started cuddle with him. With a broken expression, she went to the elevator and took one of the less fancy cars in the garage and drove toward the cemetery.

"So, you're Pepper, nice to finally meet you personally," May said with a smile as she walked into the penthouse. Peter was still in the workshop with Tony, but they had planned a dinner together, which was invented by Pepper because she finally wanted to meet May personally.

"That's me, and I share the same feelings," she laughed and greeted May with a hug.

"So, here I am," she began, trying to keep her voice firm, "I kn-ow it's been a while sin-ce the funeral, and I'm sorry I didn't show up b-efore. I know Tony was here a few ti-mes and brought you lilies. I was a little off and tried to be sup-portive fo-r Pet-er, b-ut... God," she sobbed.

"Pep, you look beautiful!" May breathed in amazement.

"You flatter me too much, I chose the simplest look that went," she replied with a small smile.

"You know what they say, simplicity is beauty."

"I'm really glad to have you by my side tonight," Pepper said with tears in her eyes.

"Well, I'm glad too, but don't do it. It's your big day! No need for us to be sad. Let's enjoy it!"

"I don't know how you do it. You're amazing, you know that?" Pepper said honestly.

"What were you thinking? I'm not you! I don't know how to care for a kid, I've only been working all my life," she cried, but then paused for a moment and looked around. Fortunately, she was alone here. "Sorry, you know I didn't mean to scream. I just don't know how to deal with this. You became a sister to me and I really didn't see this coming. And you didn't even prepare me! You just told me like you were telling me you're going on vacation. But you were right, it was better if the boys didn't know it before Christmas."

"You promised me to tell them. May, please, I can't do it any longer."

"I know, Pep, but let's wait after the wedding. One last nice moment before I tell them."

"If I could, I would hate you for this, but I understand."

"The worst part about cancer isn't what it does to you. But what it does to the people you love. I'm sorry I told you, but I couldn't keep it to myself and I didn't want to spoil Peter's Christmas."

"You should know that when things get back to normal a little bit, Tony and I want to adopt him. We promised to take care of him and keep our promise, May. You don't have to worry about him. He's dealing with it, but it's hard. It's hard for me and Tony, and I can't imagine how hard it is for him. You should know that I will do everything possible to make him happy again. I promise you that."

"Hey, how are you, May?" Pepper asked as she entered the room.

"It was better, but I can't complain, they give me good medicines."

"I bought lilies for you , but the doctor said I couldn't bring them in."

"It doesn't matter," she said with a small smile.

"Yes, it does. I wanted to do something nice for you," she murmured.

"You do so much for me, Pep."

"But it's not enough."

"For me, it's important that you're here."

"I just really hope you're happy out there somewhere, May. I hope you met Ben again because you deserve it. You deserve your happy ending and it breaks my heart that I couldn't give it to you. That you didn't figure it out sooner and we couldn't do anything about it. It's not fair, but that's how life is. I miss you so much. I didn't bring you lilies like Tony, I'm sorry. But the next time I come, I'll bring you twice much, okay? It's getting pretty cold and I'd like to stay, but I should go home. I'm going back to work tomorrow, but don't worry I'll take it lightly. Peter is still at home, but I'm trying to get him at least do his homework, not be far behind. I'll be back soon, love you, May."

"May, are you sure you want Peter to be in our care?"

"Don't be silly now, Pep. I told you, nobody's better."

"I wish you could stay."

"Oh, me too, dear, me too."

"I feel we have been given so little time."

"But that's all the more valuable. I know you're sad, so am I. But I had a good life, Pep, and I'm glad you were part of it."

"Me too. I love you, May. I always will."

"Love you too, Miss Potts..." It was Mrs. Potts-Stark now, but that wasn't the point.