17 | Almost

Z I O N

Z I O N

I didn't think having her tremble in my arms again would make me feel so disheartened.

It was much worse than the last time she was like this. The pain I felt was going to destroy me in the long run.

When I soothed her skin with my thumb, she sobbed into my shoulder, and I knew it was a reminder of the first time I held her.

Edvany was behind Pearl, her eyes flickering between us in surprise.

She didn't say what was at the tip of her tongue because Nicandro appeared from beside her.

Edvany glanced at him, and I noticed the stiffness in her stance.

"What happened?" I read Nico's lips.

"She almost relapsed," She muttered, her eyes stuck on the back of Pearl's head.

It looked like Edvany was missing something, as if nothing was making sense to her.

I assumed Pearl didn't mention the night at the beach to her friends.

"I'll take her home," I said to them, my arms never moving from Pearl's waist as her sobs became quiet cries.

Nicandro raised his eyebrows at me.

"I know where she lives. I had to pick up Xyla from there not too long ago. I remember her address." I explained myself.

I felt Pearl's body press onto me tightly, and I didn't plan to let her go too soon.

She needed to be held, and I didn't mind holding her at all. I wanted to hold her.

I think that was what scared me the most.

"Okay," Edvany spoke to herself, confusion plastered on her face.

"I'll let you know when she's safe at home," I said to Nico. "And you let Edvany know, sí?"

He nodded, his blue eyes softening at the sight of Pearl.

Nico was the first person Pearl had run into before she got hurt. He wouldn't stop talking about her for days, always asking me if she was okay.

I visited the hospital a few times for any updates on her health.

Her well-being was unstable, and her shoulder would take time to heal.

She didn't remember that entire day. I didn't think she remembered the days before that either.

Pearl blocked them out when she was awake from her bullet removal surgery.

I couldn't imagine the trauma she'd faced after being shot by her 'friend.'

No one ever caught him nor identified him.

Pearl didn't have information on him, they believed, but I knew better. She was protecting him, and I didn't know why.