(7) 64.5

I woke up clinging onto the bed sheets that engulfed me. I started to stretch myself out, and couldn't help the squeak that escaped my mouth.

I was sitting up in bed, rubbing my eyes to clear my vision as I thought about how I slept last night.

Our set is always over by eight, give or take a few minutes. It must have been about half an hour until we loaded into the car to leave the venue. So, at the possible latest, I was asleep by nine last night.

"What the hell," I groaned aloud. It must be midnight now, maybe three if I'm really lucky. I haven't had a decent nights sleep in such a long time.

But if it was suppose to be the middle of the night, why is the sun shining through the window?

With another grunt, I rolled over to face Ashton's side table to check the time.

The first thing I noticed was the brightly lit 7:39 burning into my retinas.

How is that possible... I slept for over ten hours last night?

The second thing I noticed took me by surprise. Ashton was laying down motionless on his bed. If it weren't for the fact that his eyes were plastered to the ceiling, I would have assumed he was sleeping.

"You're awake? It's early for you to be awake," I comment in a sleepy voice, taking another glance at the digital numbers on the clock beside his bed.

"Couldn't sleep," he replied. And damn, that rough voice. Even though he must have been awake for some time now, his morning voice was still audible.

"You couldn't sleep? Did you sleep at all last night?"

He shook his head slowly.

"Why?"

I assumed he was thinking of what to say, but when a minute passed without him speaking I knew he wasn't going to respond to my question.

"You're mad at me, aren't you?" I couldn't help but let the words slip from my mouth, sadness laced in my tone. He's only said two words from me, and not once looked at me.

There's a long list of reasons why someone should hate Luke Hemmings. Ruining the last concert of the tour was a new addition added to the list.

I understand why he would be mad at me. But that doesn't mean it hurts any less.

His head turned to look in my direction, a frown displayed on his lips. "Why would you even ask that? You haven't given me a single reason to be mad."

"I dunno, just the vibe you were giving off when I woke up," I exclaimed as I shifted to lean my back against the wooden headboard.

Ashton muttered a string of no's under his breathe while shaking his head quickly.

"You didn't do anything, I promise. I was just really deep in my thoughts. I'm sorry."

I could shrug his response off and take a shower, or I could ask him what he was thinking about that prevented him from sleeping.

Although the former would be easier, I went with the latter. Better get this conversation over with now, right?

"What's wrong Ash?"

"You."

"Oh Ashton, I'm blushing. That's very flattering," I joked.

My humour didn't raise much of a reaction from him. He chuckled, only slightly, and gave me a sad smile before speaking again.

"Calum, Michael and I were talking in the car last night. You aren't dehydrated Luke, we've seen you drinking water."

This was true, all I did was drink water during meals. I tried thinking of an excuse to reply with, but I wasn't quick enough. The room had fallen silent.

"What are you not telling us?" he asked with concern.

"Nothing," I attempted to say as casual as possible.

This didn't help to ease the worry on Ashton's face. Why did I even try? Responding with 'nothing' never gets me out of these situations. Damn it Luke, wake up faster.

"I don't understand... we tell each other everything."

"There's nothing to tell, I don't see what's hard to understand," I exclaimed.

His gaze drifted from his hands to my eyes, and I wish they hadn't. It was unmistakable, the pain visible in his eyes. It was the same pain he would express if I told him his dog had just died.

Seconds passed before he waved off my response and said, "Go take a shower, you're getting a check up."

"Woah woah wait, what?"

"Management scheduled you to see a doctor. Your appointment is at ten."

No no no no no no no this is not happening this can't be happening.

"But today's a day off, aren't we going to chill here?"

"It's not like you're never going to be in Miami again. Our next tour includes Florida." Why is this happening now why is this even happening at all why why why why why holy shit they'r-

"Fainting twice in such a short span of time is really concerning, Luke. We want to make sure this isn't anything serious. We all figured figured, since we have today free, this would be a good time to get you checked out."

Why is everyone making such a big deal out of my fainting! If anything, this proves that today should be spent relaxing.

"I'm not going."

"You don't have a choice," he said between gritted teeth.

"Of course I have a choice, it's my body. You can't force me to do anything, Ashton."

"You're being so stubborn," He pulled on his curls in frustration. "Why won't you go?"

"Because I said no, that's why."

"That's not a good enough reason!" Ashton started to raise his voice, much too loud for this early in the morning.

"Stop Ashton. Just, shut up. I don't want to talk about this anymore."

"We need to talk about this."

"We really don't,"

"For fucks sake Luke just tell me what's goi-"

"I already told you, nothing is going on," I said, getting up from the mattress and walking over to my bag. I pulled out a change of clothes.

Everything around me seemed to collapse in less than a night and I couldn't think of a single way to repair the damage. I couldn't stand to be in this room any longer. I couldn't continue to blatantly lie to someone so close to me, someone I care so much about. I couldn't continue to watch the pain in their eyes grow with every word that escaped my lips.

I need to stop causing problems. I need to be in control. I need to try harder to fix the mess my life is right now.

"We are not done talking."

"I think we are," I spat back to him, shutting the bathroom door behind me.