19 | Impending Crush

P E A R L

P E A R L

Nevaeh was a bawling mess when we entered the restrooms.

It was very unlike her to cry at school, much less over a guy.

"I'm gonna kill him," She muttered over and over, pacing on the mint green tiles.

She stopped momentarily to look at herself through the lined-up mirrors on the wall.

"Oh, fuck no," Nev whispered, aggressively wiping the tear stains from under her eyes. "I'm not crying. I'm not crying,"

I watched her patiently, allowing her to release her angry on something other than a human.

"I'm not fucking crying over a douchebag," She sobbed nevertheless, staring at her blonde ponytail.

A few strands protruded from their places.

"Did I really look like this when I slapped him?" She pointed at her reflection, her glistening eyes looking at me for an answer.

"I didn't notice," I walked closer to her, ready to embrace impact, in case she decided I was her human punching bag.

She sighed shakily.

"Are you going to tell me what the fucker did, or am I going to have to punch it out of him?" I asked, reaching to tuck a few pieces of her hair behind her ear.

Nevaeh didn't answer me.

"I kind of need that stress reliever too, so how about we release it on him, huh?" The softness in my voice didn't help the situation, not when Nevaeh was moving away from me.

"I don't know how to do this," She dipped her head, using her hands to grip her hair.

"What?"

"I don't know how to tell you," Her voice was merely a breathless whisper.

"Tell me what?" I urged gently.

She shook her head, moving her hands from her head to look at the exit.

"No, I think he should tell you," Nevaeh shut her eyes, and I watched more tears slid down her face.

"Cyrus?" I questioned.

Her firm nod answered my question.

"Do you want to be there when I ask him what the fuck he did to make you cry?" I felt my face contort with anger.

"Yes," She nodded urgently. "I want to understand why Cyrus' reason."

As if I wasn't already eager to know what he did, I grabbed our backpacks and led us out of the restroom.

Nevaeh made sure to let the cold wind blow against her eyes, making them look less swollen.

Plastered on her face was pure determination. On her, it was more intimidating than anger.