23 | Wrong Timing

a/n: thank you for 2k <3

P E A R L

I didn't call or text Zion back that night.

I messaged Alec instead, telling him that Riot was back in town. He didn't reply until the next morning.

Letting Zion know about Riot in person seemed more radical to me. I felt more comfortable speaking to Zion face-to-face about this situation.

Well, I would've spoken about it to him if he actually arrived at school. He was absent for the next two days, and his absence made me feel disappointed in myself.

I knew Zion was preoccupied with other things, personal things, but I was still disappointed in myself for not checking up on him.

"Has Zion been okay?" Teagan asked his friends on Thursday when Zion had been away for two days.

My mind wandered to Xyla, then to what Riot said. It hadn't been a week yet.

"Yeah, just some family stuff," River replied to her, leaning back on his seat in the cafeteria.

Teagan and River's relationship was still a bit rough around the edges, but they were working on it.

She told me that her feelings for him had gotten stronger, and when she heard about his ex, she became uncertain of their relationship. Tegan only knew that her feelings for River were deep enough to not suddenly disappear, so she stayed.

"He'll be here tomorrow, though," Gabriel's head perked up from Serenity's hair to look at me. He was holding her close, an arm wrapped around her shoulder.

"Gabriel Farah," Riot dragged his name, pronouncing every syllable with an accent. "Another innocent, drugged man,"

I nodded, turning away from him. If I stared at him for too long, I might've cried. That was the last thing he could've possibly wanted.

He sensed something was off with me as his hazel eyes stayed on me for a little longer than usual.

"Why do you ask?" Nicandro sat next to Edvany, who carelessly ate her food. "Missing him already?" His tone held an accusing sharpness.

His light eyebrows slanted upward as he shot his blue eyes at me.

My eyes widened at the sudden change in his attitude.

"We were just wondering if he was alright," Teagan spoke up for me.

Nicandro's suspecting eyes didn't move from mine.

What was his problem?

While Teagan eyed him back, Edvany continued to eat her food, oblivious to the growing tension.

"Anyway, I'm going to the locker rooms before the rest of the football team knocks me out," Gabriel stood up from his spot, chuckling awkwardly to ease the atmosphere.