Chapter Thirty-Nine

aaa!!! thank you guys for being patient I'm so sorry!

--

Chapter Thirty-Nine

You had been eating a sandwich when you heard the news. No one had seen Don in a while.

You gulped. You were shaking.

"(y/n)—hey, don't freak out," Quince tried to comfort you, a hand on your back. You leaned into him easily. "I--we'll figure it out."

You took a breath, "But don't you know what happened to him?"

He bit his lip—the worry on his countenance convincing— "no, not this time. I'm usually notified..." he trailed off.

You didn't say anything. You just let yourself be held again. What were you going to do? Were you going to look again? It felt stupid. It felt terribly stupid and like if you did that shit again, you'd completely lose it.

And yet...?

You pulled away from Quince's grip, "I think I'll... just look around his favorite spots. Just to make sure."

Quince frowned, "I don't know that that's a good idea."

"I have to—for the good of my conscience at least," you waved off. "I'll come hang out with you later and we can talk about it?"

Quince faltered at your gaze. He couldn't say no to you now. He nodded and kissed your forehead before you left.

.:x.x.x.x.x.:.

You were feeling it again—the itch and fear you felt when you were looking for Jenna. You were never gonna find him. You knew that.

Somehow this was humiliating—why did this feel like it was your fault? You thought you might scream. At the bottom of your heart you were more scared than anything. If Jenna and Don disappeared, who's to say the rest won't either?

...and then what? Would you be alone forever? For eternity? Or would you have the guts to enter the attic? You didn't want to think about it. That couldn't become your reality. You had to find Don.

You had searched fervently for at least a few hours before anyone came to disturb you. You jumped nearly out of your skin when someone grabbed your shoulder.

"Woah—hey! Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," Jason laughed nervously when you spun around.

"Ah, haha, sorry, I guess I was just absorbed in my thoughts," you blushed in embarrassment. Jason's body language was a little weird, he seemed anxious as he stood there. Usually, he seemed fairly confident, even when he was shaken. What's wrong...?

"You're not um," he paused. "Are you looking for Don?"

You frowned. Yes, you were, and yes, you knew it was more than likely going to be an entirely fruitless endeavor. "I can't just sit here without knowing anything."

"But you do know something," Jason took a step closer. "We know what happened to Jenna."

"Yeah, but—this is different! Not even Quince knows. Last time we knew why Jenna went in there. Don just doesn't make sense."

"(y/n). What's really going on? You know that logically, there isn't anything you can do. Why are you doing this?" He pushed. Seeing him get harsh always made your hair stand on end.