Amusement Park (1)

"When should we go?" Liam had asked Aki.

But, as it turned out, Rina would still be the one who gets to decide. She sent a text to Aki, telling him when to meet. Rina told him that they had a half-day at school after the mock exam so they decided to go to an amusement park on a weekday afternoon.

Aki was confused because she was supposedly holding only two tickets. Why was she coming with them now?

Good thing, it was on the day that Liam had finished the last of his makeup exams. Aki waited for his roommate after his morning shift at the cafe for them to go together.

It was too early for the rush hour that there were only a few passengers on the train. The two of them sat beside each other despite the empty spaces. Aki glanced at Liam, remembering Rina's words about him being obvious with his feelings. 'I thought I was hiding it so well though,' he thought bitterly.

Given how close they were sitting, every now and then, their shoulders would bump and their arms would brush against the other. Still, no one thought of moving away.

Aki looked sideways, trying to decipher what was on Liam's mind. He had his eyes closed though, perhaps sleeping after studying all night. Despite his schedule, he seemed to find a way to do something -- anything, really -- around Aki. Wherever Aki might be, whether he was reading in the living room, lying on the floor of the storage room, or eating a snack in the kitchen, Liam would be in the background, sometimes finding random topics to talk about.

Aki might just be overthinking things. He may also be thinking things and twisting them to his liking. But what if Liam wanted to be around Aki? What if, maybe, Liam liked him too? Then that meant Aki had a chance?

But also, what if Liam treated everyone in that kind and caring way of his?

They arrived in front of the amusement part where they met Rina and others. Aki was surprised to see Rina's friends with her and could not help but raised his eyebrows at his sister.

After they were introduced to each other, Aki subtly grabbed Rina and dragged her to walk alongside him. "Explain."

Rina grimaced. "I never thought that they had tickets too. So they agreed that we are going here together."

Aki looked at his sister evenly. "Why drag us too?"

She pursed her lips and glanced at her brother with an apologetic look. Aki could not help but feel bad for interrogating her like this. "I didn't really like to go with him. So I came up with the excuse that we might as well join you. Grace and Anna were happy when they heard that there would be handsome college guys joining us."

Aki abruptly stopped and turned to Rina. "What did you say his name was?" He jerked his head to the direction of the only guy friend his sister brought with her. The one who glowered at Liam when Rina greeted him.

In a small voice, Rina answered, "Noah."

"'That' Noah?"

Rina widened her eyes as she gripped Aki's arm. "It's okay Aki! Please!"

He took a sharp intake of breath to calm himself. "The girl you saw with him... is she one of them?" Aki was mentally cracking his knuckles.

"Oh no, of course not!"

"Are you sure?"

"Hundred percent sure! You can't expect me to hang out with people who broke my heart."

"Ouch," he said as impassive as he could.

Rina gave him a small smile and mouthed, 'Sorry.' "It's fine, okay? I got this."

Aki shrugged and turned back to their companions, his eyebrow twitching with what he saw. 'It's not fine,' he thought as he watched the girls surrounding Liam.