(36)

Song Above: Huggin & Kissin

If you like this story then please check out my new story Me You And Winnie The Pooh! It needs all the love it can get! 😊🐻🍯

"Today we are going to be learning about the XY sex-determination system," Mr. Roberts turned his back to scribble on the board completely unaware of the eye rolls and bored expressions of his class.

A couple of immature boys in the back hooted at the sound of the word sex. High school boys, the bane of my life.

Rose let out a sigh, "I can tell this lesson is going to drag,"

"Tell me about," I whispered. I looked around the classroom to find Ryan sat a few rows in front of me. He looked around and locked my gaze. A warm smile formed on his face. The girl next to him followed his gaze and when her eyes fell on me they narrowed.

Charlotte.

"What is she staring at?" Rose scrunched her nose up.

"God knows, she's like a bad rash, keeps appearing out of nowhere."

Rose snorted, "Yeah Brody said she appeared out of nowhere at the mall,"

At the mention of his name my ears perked up. I had forgotten for a split second that they were together and would probably talk about their days. I wondered what else he had said to Rose.

"Yeah she did," I trailed, I hoped Charlotte wasn't feeling extra bitchy today and tell Rose or Ryan about the mall. I can imagine from an outsider's perspective Brody and I looked pretty intense, which was true, but they didn't need to know that.

"I've placed a sheet on your desks, this will be a group exercise, please can you match the definitions of chromosomes to the correct structures," Mr. Roberts held up a sheet in his hand, "If you need help then do ask, but no stupid questions," He aimed that last bit at the boys at the back.

Once he was satisfied we all knew what we were doing, which was questionable, he sat down and began to mark the stack of papers on his desk.

Rose pulled the sheet from my table and brought it to her face, "What is all this?"

"Well if I knew I wouldn't be in this class, I'd be in Special Ed," I pulled the sheet back and put it in front of me. A shrill fake laugh caught our attention and we looked over to find Charlotte with her hand on Ryan's arm. She was laughing at something he had said and her movements were animated and awkward.

I cocked a brow.

He wasn't that funny.

"Is she for real?" Rose said, "You gonna take that? She's trying to steal your man,"

"I'm sure she isn't," Even though I wasn't too sure myself. I watched Ryan smile at her in a way that didn't settle too well with me. He said something else and she moved her chair closer. They were close enough that their shoulders were touching and she pointed at the sheet of paper.

"They're probably just talking about work," I shrugged, glancing in their direction one last time before focusing on my work. It was weird. I should be bothered that Charlotte was practically on top of my boyfriend. I should want to pull her manicured nails off her fingers, but I wasn't. I think Rose was more hyped than I was.

"Do you want me to fight her?" Rose said fidgeting in her seat and I rolled my eyes.

She wasn't going to fight anyone.

"It's fine Rose, she's basic," I let out a sigh and started scribbling the answers onto the sheet, not even caring if they were right or wrong.

"God, I wish I could be home right now, this lesson is boring AF," Rose groaned leaning back into her chair.

"We've got forty minutes left, chill out," I shook my head.

Rose's phone vibrated next to me and I subconsciously glanced at the screen.

I miss you, when can I see you?

Before I could see the name of who had sent it Rose snatched the phone out of my sight, glanced at the screen with her eyes widening and shoved it into her back pocket.

That was weird.

"Who was that?" My brows pressed together.

"It was Brody," She said automatically, tossing her hair over her shoulders and leaning onto my table with her elbows. She stared at my scribbles as if she was suddenly interested in doing work.

Brody was in gym class and would most likely have his phone in his locker. He took sports seriously and wouldn't get distracted by texts or calls. I knew that for a fact.

"Brody?" I asked suspicion laced in my tone.

"Yes Brody," She repeated, her foot tapped against the floor and she shifted her weight. She looked at me as if that was the only plausible answer and I was stupid to question her.

"But Brody is in-"

"Ivy, do you have a spare pen I could borrow? Ryan and I run out, we've been having so much fun on this project we got carried away," Charlotte stood at the end of our desk. A fresh coat of red lipstick was on her lips and I swear she wasn't wearing any earlier. I didn't understand why she was asking me. She could have easily asked the people who were closer to her and there was no her and Ryan. She needed to get that straight.

"Earth to Ivy," She waved her hand in my face.

You see before I never had a problem with Charlotte, granted I didn't know her name, let alone who she was but over the past month, Charlotte has started to grow on me and not in a good way. More like how weeds grow in your garden and plucking them out isn't going to cut it, you needed to poison that sucker at the root so they couldn't grow back anymore.

"I don't have any pens you could borrow,"

She pointed to the pencil case on my desk, "Then what's in there?"

"Drugs," I crossed my arms over my chest.

"You have drugs in there?"

"Yes," I pursed my lips, "Like aspirin to help me deal with the headache you are giving me,"

Rose put a hand to her mouth in order to stifle her laughter and Charlotte's cheek went red.

"I'm sure Ryan won't appreciate you speaking to me like this," She widely gestured towards him. He was sat at his desk secretly playing candy crush under the table and was blissfully unaware.

"You mean Ryan my boyfriend Ryan?"

Her eyebrow twitched, "Yes."

"I'm sure he'll be okay," I carried on with my work as a subtle queue for her to go away, which luckily she got the hint and left. When she sat back down in her seat I let out a groan.

I heard her laugh again at Ryan and I lost it. I did not have the patience to deal with this. I shot up in my seat, stormed over to their desk, leaned down grabbing Ryan's face in my hands and kissed him. At first, he didn't react, obviously shocked by my outburst but then he relaxed and kissed me back. I heard Charlotte gasp beside me and a smile played on my lips at the victory. A few people in the class cheered and the boy's woof whistled at the back.

I pulled back and instead of looking directly at Ryan, I looked at Charlotte with a face that said I've won. She narrowed her eyes at me. I strolled back to my seat tossing my hips swaying in a confident swagger and fist-bumped Rose, who looked like a proud mother. After the initial hype wore off this feeling swirled in my stomach. Was it guilt?

I knew I didn't kiss Ryan because I felt threatened by Charlotte and cared whether she stole him. I kissed him because she was annoying and needed to be put in her place. I didn't want her thinking she could walk all over me.

Shouldn't it be because I cared about Ryan and I didn't want to lose him?

It should be. It really should be.

202k? wow! I just want to say thank you so much to everyone whose reading my story so far! I can't believe it! I guess hard work pays off! Hopefully, you enjoy the chapters that are yet to come!

LOVE you all,

D xx