Chapter 18

Recap:

With any luck, I'll be on a flight back tomorrow with my family. Fingers crossed. And I can put this all behind me. It's for the best.

To The Ball

It's almost time for the ball. And I hate to admit it but I'm nervous as hell. My family are in their hotel room getting ready for the big event, but Em stayed with me. After mum and and dad headed off and I filled her in about Stefan. I needed her advice.

"Aww sis." She hugs me and smiles sadly, "who'd have thought it - you and the Prince! What happened to the girl who wore joggers to the photo shoot and swore she's be the first sent home?" She wiggles her eyebrows teasingly and I can't help but chuckle, despite the pit settling in my stomach at the thought of being sent home tonight.

After a catching up for a little longer, Lily and Courtney knock on the door. Not that I can say I really know anymore how to to deal with Stefan than I did prior to our talk. But oh well, I missed Em and it was refreshing to just be able to sit and talk - laugh even - with her. "Miss, it's time for you to get ready for the ball! Sorry Miss..."

"It's ok, I'm going! See you in there sis." Em gives me a big hug before following heading out to get ready herself.

"Are you excited?" Lily looks at me kindly.

"Not really..." I mumble honestly. She raises an eyebrow at me but says nothing. Her and Courtney know a fair amount of what's been happening these last few weeks, obviously. Being my maids in waiting meant there wasn't a lot they missed or didn't know about my time at the palace. To their credit though, they haven't said anything to anyone else and neither have they ever directly broached me on the topic.

"Well why don't you have a quick shower and then this might change your mind." I see her gesture toward a large, white box with a big, ribbon bow tied on top. Intriguing...

Once I'm out the shower, Courtney pulls me into my seat at my dressing table and starts on my hair and make-up. She gives me a light layer of make up, but just enough for people to see I'm wearing some, and curls my hair letting it fall loosely around my shoulders. As a final touch, she secures a diamond tiara atop my head.

"A Tiara?" I touch it gently, watching my reflection.

"Of course my princess." Courtney smiles. "You're the belle of the ball. Here."

She brings the box over and places it on the bed. Walking toward it, I open the lid and gasp. Inside lies the most beautiful, exquisite ballgown I have ever seen in my life.

The fabric is soft, silky. The dress is a grey, off the shoulder one, with white flowers covering the bodice and trailing down the top of the skirt. The skirt is grey and fans out around me, giving me a puddle train (pictured below). And to match, under the dress in the box, are a pair of grey stiletto heels with white flowers to match this stunning dress.

 And to match, under the dress in the box, are a pair of grey stiletto heels with white flowers to match this stunning dress