【41】Like Old Times

On Saturday morning, I woke up to delicious smells reaching my room despite my door being closed

On Saturday morning, I woke up to delicious smells reaching my room despite my door being closed. I emerged, sleepy and confused, after having spent a terrible night. I'd been so absorbed by the fact that Tyler might break his promise and go for Tammy, I'd woken up at the slightest sound, listening carefully to make sure no funny business was happening in the room next to mine.

Although I hated sounding like the worst cockblock in history, I still had PTSD from the time some of my closest friends had broken our friendship, because of Tyler's incapacity to not fuck everything with a pulse.

I didn't know what Tammy thought of him, and it was possible she just wasn't into Ty, which meant I had been worrying over nothing. The dinner the night before had gone smoothly, the two of them had connected well, their disability giving them something to bond over. Tammy was incredibly likable, and Tyler was irresistible, so of course, things had gone right. It had turned flirtatious a single time when Tyler had not so subtly asked if she was seeing someone at the moment. My firm kick in his shin, from under the counter, had calmed him straight away.

Ever since I'd moved in over a month ago, I'd been aware of two guys Tamika had brought home. From what I'd gathered from our talks, she was open to the possibility of a serious relationship. She wanted to meet her prince charming, which she so clearly deserved. Apparently, he was taking his sweet time about it. In the meantime, she still wanted to have some fun, hence the few guys she'd welcomed in her bed. Having my brother at arm's reach could have proven to be easily accessible fun. Although, I could hardly believe she would go for my brother without talking about it with me first. Just to be sure I'd be fine with it. Which I wouldn't be. But I wasn't the Grinch either, so I could have been open to negotiations.

I was pretty confident nothing had happened when I exited my room, but I was struck with doubt when I found the two of them laughing in the kitchen. I frowned at them, my sleepy brain trying to process the scene unfolding before me.

Tyler was taking care of the bacon, already dressed up for the day, our pink and blue apron shielding his green sweater from scorching droplets of grease. Tammy was already dressed too and was finishing setting up the things on the high counter where I could spot a fantastic breakfast, with fresh bread, pastries, orange juice, and our fancy set of dishes.

Okay, now I was worried. Why were the two of them so cheerful? Had my vigilance betrayed me and had something happened? And was all this food meant to buy my forgiveness?

No. It was impossible. When it came to sex, Tammy was rather... vocal, and it would have woken me up. Dismissing my concerns, I joined them, wondering if I should change out of my jammies, as they both had. I looked down at my unicorn-patterned pink pajamas, a joke gift from Kate, and shrugged my shoulders. They had both seen me wearing worse at this point, so who cared?

I greeted them with a vague hand wave when they saw me, and it was returned with smiles. I hoisted myself up on a high chair I strategically chose, the one in the middle, and looked at the magnificent meal before me. Oh, this is nice. Tyler should drop by more often.