musically linked📚

request from @theboredone6

*3rd POV*

It's 3:01 am when Smitty checks his alarm clock. It's too late for sleep and too early to be awake. So he lies in his bed, covers strewn about, surrounded by nothing but his thoughts and darkness. All alone with nothing to stop thinking about what he is and, more importantly, what he isn't.

Dropout. The intrusive thought flys through the YouTuber's mind and suddenly he can't stop thinking about how much he's failed in life. A weight starts pressing down on his chest, constricting his rationale and forcing his mouth into a frown as his eyebrows furrow and he goes limp on his mattress.

Now it's 3:18. Smitty lets out a sigh. He wants to do something, he doesn't know what he wants to do, but he wants to do it. And he wants someone to come with him.

Immediately his mind drifts to...her, but then he feels the empty side of his bed where she used to lie next to him and he's reminded of yet another thing he's failed to do. He pushes the thought out of his brain, hoping that he might forget about it.

The next person he thinks might want to come with him on his expedition is his best friend, John, who has always said that he would be there to talk to Smitty if he were to need it. Now was the perfect time to make good on that promise.

He slowly pushes himself up from his position on the bed to be sitting and lets his legs dangle off the edge of the bed, his feet just barely touching the ground. He stands up and puts a hand on the bedpost to support himself as he got used to the change in altitude. Not bothering to change he grabs a pair of slip-on's and makes his way to the front door, grabbing his keys on the way.

As he steps out into the chill of the night, he's suddenly made aware that it is 3 am. Everything seems ethereal and serene, too calm for the discordant drumming inside his head. A shiver runs down his back and he's shaken back into reality as a gust of wind brushes past him and the hair on his arms starts to stand. He quickly walks over to his car before hopping in and turning it on, filling the car with warm air.

Once comfortable, he shifts the gear into reverse and pulls out of the driveway. Soon he's on the road, no one else around to honk at him or see him miss a turn, he's at peace. The road is much different at 3:30 in the morning, it's calmer and you don't feel rushed or pressured. If only things could always be like that.

After 15 or 20 minutes of driving, Smitty arrives at a small house in a quiet neighborhood. He knows John won't be awake and he doesn't want to waken any of his roommates so he calls the other YouTuber directly.

Ring...ring...rin-

"Hello?" Came the groggy reply. He definitely just got up

"Yo, get up, don't get dressed, come out to the front of your house, we're goin' on a trip babey!" Smitty says, a bit too excitedly as muffled noises are heard from the other side of the phone.

"Ok? Why at 3:45 though? Couldn't you have waited like seven hours?" John's tired voice rings through Smitty's ears as he, presumably and hopefully, gets out of bed and grabs shoes.

"I couldn't sleep," Smitty replies with a small voice. Suddenly, the front door opens and a very tired looking John stands in the middle with a phone held up to his ear.

"Well let's get moving then." Smitty hears an echo of John's voice in his ear as he stares at his friend before a smile makes its way onto his face and he drops his hand from where it was next to his ear, simultaneously hanging up on the man in front of him. Said man slowly makes his way to the younger before placing a hand on his shoulder and pulling him into a crushing hug.