[ 1.09 ] - Resolve

Resolve

[ 1.09 ]

R Y E N N E  A T S T E L L I

Year 5

In the end, I stayed in City X for two weeks and during this time, my mother and baby brother, Ryec, had come home. I used to always think that babies were very cute with their innocent little eyes and big, chubby cheeks, but why is it that when I first saw my baby brother, he looked so atrocious?

"Rynnie, why are you looking at your baby brother like that?" Mother had asked me. I grimaced and replied, "Why is he so ugly?"

There was a pause, as though she had not been expecting my response. My mother took a breath. "What do you mean, Rynnie? Little Ryccie is so cute!"

"No he isn't. Look at his face! It's all squash up!" I exclaimed. I pointed at his face that was deep in slumber, but I saw his face begin to scrunch up in annoyance. Was I being too loud, just then?

"But this is exactly how you looked as well."

I stared at my mother's face, horrified.

I looked like that!? No way! I could not have been that ugly as a baby if I look as angelic as this.

"My, Rynnie, don't make your face like that." Mother touched my face and used her fingers to smooth out my crinkled brows. I could only puff out my cheeks in defiance, but relaxed my face nonetheless.

After a moment of silence, I started, "Mommy, when can I go back to live with Grandma?"

My mother frowned as she watched me with saddened eyes. "Rynnie, do you hate living with Mommy that much?"

I looked at her with incredulous eyes. How my mother came to that conclusion was a wonder to me.

"I don't hate Mommy. I just don't like the loud noises in the city. I like the peaceful countryside." I tell her as I gave her a smile and peck on her cheek. "I love Mommy and Daddy and everyone here, but I like living in Grandma's house!"

My mother was silent for a while before giving a subtle nod. "I see..."

I was unsure of what she was thinking, but I did not ask about it. Instead, I decided to go to my room and nap. Yes, napping is a great idea.

25 January x023

* * *

Ryec: (ree • eck)

11.10.2019